Author Topic: How do I tell which church a relative was married in?  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I tell which church a relative was married in?
« on: Thursday 09 August 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have to make a trip to Newcastle at the weekend so thought I'd try to get into Newcastle Library for a few hours and find some marriages register entries however I've realised I don't know where to start up there!

I know for North Tyneside you can go on the council's website, find the marriage and from the registry book entry number you can tell which church they were married in. Then it's a case of hitting the microfilm and finding the register entry. Is there a similar system for Newcastle?

I have 31 marriages to try and find ranging from the 1870's to the 1980's (although most are between 1910 and 1950). I know a couple were in the cathedral and have the exact dates but for them but for most all I have is the year and quarter from free BMD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I tell which church a relative was married in?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 August 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
For the earlier ones, try Marriage Locator:

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 August 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
Newcastle used to have a marriage search online similar to the ones you mention.
Unfortunately it disappeared a good while ago and the current 'search' just invites you to purchase the cert.

Oh post the list, I am currently fed up trying to find twiglets in a US State that will only let you buy copy BMD records if you know the exact date and place (oh if I knew that I wouldn't be asking!) - and you probably  have to turn up in person accompanied by all four sets of Great Grandparents to vouch for you. :-)

Having a look through old newspapers etc would be a nice change and it 'may' find at least some of them for you.

:-)
Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 August 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot AVM228, I haven't seen that site before but have located a few of the older 1870's ones quite quickly. 1915 was the "newest one" I've tried but had no luck with that.

Boo, thanks for the offer but I have to go to a meeting so can't post any now. I might try a few tonight if I'm still stuck.

The only quick one I have is the 1915 one I've just tried which was William Issac Carruthers to Mary J Hall in Q4 1915 (Newcastle, 10b, 9).

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Don’t forget that not all marriages took place in church, some were in a Register Office. Later ones may also have been in nonconformist churches.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 18 16:14 BST (UK) »

The only quick one I have is the 1915 one I've just tried which was William Issac Carruthers to Mary J Hall in Q4 1915 (Newcastle, 10b, 9).

Have tried newspapers but nothing coming up, sorry. Its always worth a look though!
As Jebber says some would have married in Register Offices, especially at that time when so many young men were going off to war and they knew they may not return, I think it may have been easier and quicker to have a registry office wedding.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 August 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

I might be confused here but are you hoping to look at microfilms of marriages registers at the library?  As far as I am aware they don't keep these at the library.  You would need to go to the Archives.

It is such a shame that Newcastle no longer has that site which enables researchers to find out which Church ancestors married at.  Unlike North Tyneside and South Tyneside which are more helpful to family researchers.

Taking into account religion - it can sometimes be helpful to look at the closest Churches to the Bride's house and check the relevant registers.  You have probably thought of this already, however.

Thanks avm, for posting this great link - I have just tested this out and a known church for an ancestor is shown! (1870) :D. So I think I will be able to try this for yet unknown ones.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 August 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the help everyone.

Jebber, thanks for that, the site has shown a couple as being in registry offices so they are on it as well.

Boo thanks for looking for me, your probably right about it being a pre off to war wedding.

River Tyne Lass that's exactly what I was hoping to do, it sounds like that's a non starter then. I thought they held them there, at least you have saved me the time of trying to get in there to find out they don't have the microfilm.

Michael

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

The library has a good number of interesting volumes containing information concerning local Churches ranged over this area.  For instance,  there are marriages and baptisms volumes going way back for St Hilda.  Someone hand wrote these but this type of thing will only give you brief information.  For full entries you would still need to go to the archives.

It might be possible to find marriage notices in the Evening Chronicle though.  If those you are looking for placed such a notice this would likely give you the name of a Church or let you know if they married in the registry office.  You may strike really lucky in the later years e.g. 1940s onwards and actually come across a wedding photo.

It might still be worth going to the library even if to check out the wealth of information which they do have.  They have booklets letting you know what they do have.  I would recommend ranging around the shelves  behind where the staff sit.  Lots of volumes there relating to Northumberland and Durham.

Library is open on Sunday too after 11 am.  10 am Saturday.  I would try to arrive on opening just in case all microfilm readers get taken.

I would take this opportunity if you can to visit. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner