Author Topic: How do I tell which church a relative was married in?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I tell which church a relative was married in?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 August 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
Your list sounds quite long.

You know, you could always post the names of those now deceased on the list if you think you know where they may have wed and perhaps RootsChatters like myself could help you chip away at it whenever we to can fit in time to visit the archives.

I do appreciate that with your work and other commitments, such as the work you do with the local scouts, etc will make things very difficult for you to get to the archives on your own behalf.

Just to add - I do think you might find a trip to the library in Newcastle interesting if you can ever make it up there.  Late nights till 7 pm Mon - Thurs.  I do manage to get there quite regularly and yet I am always coming across new resources.  I recently found a volume giving the memorial inscriptions for St Paul, Whitley Bay.  The book noted that many of the grave stones have been cleared away.  Apparently some were placed at the bottom of Marden quarry and some were used for paving stones at Brierdene.  :o :o

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 August 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

If you had enough time you could always go to the archives at Woodhorn tomorrow.  They have Tyne and Wear Churches too and those in Northumberland.  You could check their catalogue.

There is a large car park or if you wanted to go by public transport the 19 bus goes to Ashington bus station from North Shields leaving from behind metro station bus stop.  From Ashington bus station turn right out of the station, walk ahead.  Cross over at traffic lights.  You will be in McDonald's side. Walk down very long road till you come to a signpost on left for Queen Elizabeth country park.  Enter.  Cross small rail track.  Walk forward. Turn right at lake.  Follow path along the lake and you will come to a car park and voila you will be there. :)

You will need ID. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass, thanks a lot for all the advice, I have been to the library and woodhorn before but didn't realise what they have in there (or don't in this case).

I can't get to either tomorrow, I have to much other stuff on, Sunday is my option because I have to go to Newcastle for a meeting so will probably have a few hours to spare. I'm still planning to get into the library on Sunday, I have other things I can look for. I will follow your advice though and see what is on the shelves behind the staff, hopefully I'll be able to track some more things down.

I'll see what I can find on the marriage locator website, it's proving to be a very useful resource. Once I've finished I'll maybe post the ones I need help with to confirm parents etc.

I can't believe Marden Quarry is lined with grave stones or that Brierdene is paved with them, I'll bet there aren't too many people realise that.

Thanks again for the help,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 August 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hope you enjoy your visit to the library tomorrow.  It is open 11 - 4 on a Sunday.  The booklets on the stand to your left when you come out of the lift on the 6th floor will give you an idea of what volumes regarding parishes the library holds.  (Northumberland & Durham)  Microfilms for things such as newpapers, burials, cremations are in filing cabinets.  Lots of records on microfiche too and can be found on shelves and in filing cabinets.

They also have a range of newspapers out the back which you can view in original form if you sign for them.  You may need ID if you are not a library member already.  A good one is the 'Illustrated Chronicle' - this featured much on aspects of the war during the Great War years.  You may occasionally come across a marriage photo in this newspaper.

The shelves behind the staff tables hold many parish volumes, some interesting memorial inscription books and there are shelves of trade/street directories, etc.  If you go past the computer section you will also find a good range of family and local history books, too.

Yes, I bet not a lot of people know what happened to the grave stones from the Whitley Bay St Paul's Churchyard.  I was a bit shocked when I read in the volume you will find there that these were put in the Marden quarry and used as paving stones at Brier Dene.  I don't know when this was actually carried out.  I wonder what the local people's reaction was then?  I don't think I would be too happy if I had forked out for a grave stone for this to be sunk under a quarry or used as part of a footpath.