Author Topic: Manchester Cathedral marriages 1920 resident at Mitre Hotel  (Read 949 times)

Offline mulleymaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manchester Cathedral marriages 1920 resident at Mitre Hotel
« on: Thursday 09 August 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
I have just been looking at the marriage of a relative of mine in 1920 at Manchester Cathedral, and noticed that the groom's address was the Mitre Hotel. On looking further at the surrounding entries, there are many marriages with at least one party resident at the Mitre Hotel. Does anyone know the reason for this?
Moults of Mobberley, Luckmans of Manchester, Redferns of Manchester and Bonsall, Smiths of Manchester and Belper

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester Cathedral marriages 1920 resident at Mitre Hotel
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 August 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Maybe to give them an address. They might not have stayed there for any length of time. They might have stayed a night and left a suitcase there for a fee to make it look as if they were staying there. What were their occupations? Did it look like they could afford to stay a few weeks at a hotel?
Do you know anything about the Mitre Hotel?
Another thought; perhaps the couple were cohabiting prior to marriage so one moved out (or moved his/her suitcase) to the hotel so that the marriage register didn't have the same address for both.
Were these couples married by banns or licence?
Edit. Still on cohabiting. Groom may have moved out of the home because of superstition about not seeing each other on eve of wedding.
Cowban

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 August 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
the Mitre Hotel is still there today and is described as "in a scenic spot at the base of the Manchester cathedral on the corner of exchange square
It was built in 1815 as the Old Church Tavern and then name changed to Mitre Hotel
It is so close to the cathedral it would make sense for people to give it as the address if they lived out of the area normally - as Maiden Stone posted
Put Mitre Hotel in 1800's into a search engine and you will get old photographs of the Hotel and also the present day website which gives a little history

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 August 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
Mitre Hotel, of course, where else would it be except next to the cathedral! I wonder if any of the bishops supped there, with or without their mitres.
Modern hotels do wedding packages with guest accommodation. Maybe the Mitre Hotel did the same.
Cowban

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
I knew an English lady who had married a Belgian soldier who had convalesced at her mother’s large house at Southport, during WWl.
I however met her when she was living in Belgium as were we.1965 onwards.
They married at Manchester Catherdral and The Mitre was the address he gave ,she was with her parents in their North Manchester home.
This was 1919.
I was given her wedding dress,exquisite and all hand sewn, by her family.
It has earned a lot of money for The Air Ambulance,as they also gave me gorgeous clothes from the Victorian period and I passed them on to a friend who worked very hard for that charity .She gave lectures and the clothes were so popular(especially the voluminous bloomers!) and caused gasps when the fine stitching was examined,and think of the ironing with flat irons!
            Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 August 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, how lovely!
Cowban

Offline mulleymaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes I did think as much, it would seem scrolling through that there are more entries with at least one party resident at The Mitre Hotel than anywhere else. I have a substantial number of ancestors married at the cathedral and had never seen that before.
Moults of Mobberley, Luckmans of Manchester, Redferns of Manchester and Bonsall, Smiths of Manchester and Belper