Author Topic: Same couple married each other twice within 18 months  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Same couple married each other twice within 18 months
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
Bachelor and spinster!

The  entries are

O2, 1925, Oswestry
Q4 1926, Oswestry

The 1926 marriage certificate ahows the marriage taking place on 1st December 1926 at the church of the groom's parish. Addresses of the bride and groom are different. The bride's brother and sister signed and the grooms's brother officiated.

I will await the 1925 cert with interest.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 August 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
The officiating minister was primarily a school master and was working at the Bluecoat school in Liverpool at the time. He appears to have officiated/assisted  at some of his sibling's and their offsprings' marriages.

No newspaper reports so far.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
I have a couple marrying twice, several years apart and in different places. Getting both certificates solved the puzzle as the ‘bachelor’ groom wasn’t divorced from his first wife at the time.

Not the same here though as they are both unmarried on the 2nd occasion.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 August 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
As far as I know from family info, cousin Donald wasn't married before.

I should get the 1925 cert in a week's time. I didn't think it was worth the extra for next day delivery. 

It's not the line that we are related through, Deidre   ;D

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 August 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
It's not the line that we are related through, Deidre   ;D

Gosh, i’d forgotten we were related 😀 i must have another look 👀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 August 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
I've just found a consular marriage in Calais 1916-20 for someone with the same name/initial as my cousin. It's not uncommon though and, searching through the service records, there are quite a few.

I do know that he would have reason to be in the Calais area as he was a mining engineer who was in the group who explored the construction of a tunnel in WW1 .

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. the plot thickens.  Should I order the cert?

Added - relief - the middle name is different, although same initial. TG for Ancestry trees when they're correct!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 August 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
My parents married twice.  Dad was RC and my Mother was C of E and so they decided to marry in a register office.  The local priest found out around 2 years later and was not at all happy.  Upshot was priest persuaded them to go through another ceremony at the local Church.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 August 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
My 2xgt. aunt seems to have married the same man twice; once in Southwark in December 1853 and again in Chelsea in 1854. He was a widower and she was a spinster. No idea why unless there were 2 couples with exactly the same details.   ::)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 August 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
My aunt and uncle married, got divorced, then married again a few years later. My aunt can't remember the date of the first so doesn't celebrate it.