Author Topic: How do I find someone in mid 1931 in Kent?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How do I find someone in mid 1931 in Kent?
« on: Friday 10 August 18 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

In broad terms I know the mechanisms to locate someone e.g. census documents, BMD registers, periodicals, directories, etc. But I would appreciate some specific suggestions on how to locate someone in June/July 1931 in Kent (believing deep down that it is well nigh impossible but needing to have asked the question anyway!) The people I'm specifically interested in are adults with labouring occupations. They would probably have lived their lives well under the radar (like most people) so I don't expect to find them reported on for grand adventures or radical undertakings.

Any ideas most gratefully received.

JR
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find someone in mid 1931 in Kent?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
As labourers I doubt they would be in phone directory - but every chance they would be on the electoral register surely?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
I haven't had any success finding the two people I am most interested in on the electoral register but that could be lack of skill not necessarily lack of presence. Where is the best place to look and any tips? And thanks for the suggestion mowsehowse :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:00 BST (UK) »
Electoral Registers usually remain with the local council - so try libraries.
Not many are online.

Ancestry has Bexley (Kent) ER's online. But nothing for the rest of Kent.

You could also visit the British Library, where they have a complete (printed) collection, 1832-date.

Remember also the ER's are listed by address, and NOT by name ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
Ok..... feeling my way here.......

Have you put a specific enquiry on the Kent RC board?  You are very likely to get better help there.

If you google "Kent electoral registers + 1931" you will see that family search (free), find my past and An_estry all say they have electoral register records, also The National Archive and the British Museum.

Have you enquired at the Kent records offices? I wouldn't be surprised if there is an East and West for the county.

What about asking at the central library for the area you are most confident your people lived? They often have massive local history resources.

Hope something here helps.  :)

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Mr GARRAD I visited your beautiful island briefly in July.  It was so clean and friendly. We stayed in Douglas, and I fell in love with Castleton. Also visited Peel and very possibly pin pointed the place where my g-father was interned, as Roy at the Leece museum was helpful and kind. I do so hope to visit IoM again one day.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
You are/were very welcome! ;D

Manx people in general are very friendly - even "stopovers" like me :D
Is it any wonder that I've been here for nearly 25 years?

For anybody thinking of a visit, PM me and I'm sure we could meet up for a drink?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:35 BST (UK) »
You are/were very welcome! ;D

Manx people in general are very friendly - even "stopovers" like me :D
Is it any wonder that I've been here for nearly 25 years?

For anybody thinking of a visit, PM me and I'm sure we could meet up for a drink?

:D Do you know, I was SO close to getting in touch with you, and then I chickened out! Shame on me!!  :'(

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 August 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions : )
JR