Author Topic: Land Record - for the Prebensen Family  (Read 3228 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Land Record - for the Prebensen Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 August 18 07:27 BST (UK) »
It would appear that he was alive in 1919 and that the surname spelling was [at times?] Prebenson.....

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TAIDT19180527.2.21?query=prebenson

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TAIDT19190528.2.2.4?page=2&query=prebenson

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 August 18 05:52 BST (UK) »
I looked into the newspaper article of 1919, from my understanding the notice was used as a way of trying to get Hans to make contact. He was a missing person case for the Police at that time.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 August 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again Ashley.

Just returned from an unsuccessful cattle buying mission in the North.

I see one of my links does not go to the page I had hoped. See if this is any better:-

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ItemAdvancedSearch.do;jsessionid=1DD9380892BE73DA5B0A9562D3E14469

The first entry is to do with some dispute with the local store keeper.

The next few are in regard to land title "alienation" presumably to do with updating the earlier [pre 1871 introduced torrens system of land title registration] land title deeds, often involved with Crown Grants, and land titles involving the Maori Land court.

Land alienation applications were very common around that pre WW1 period, and involved proving title and updating the records to comply with the torrens system. And then record the transfer of ownership, with the title hence forth registered within the torrens system.

The names on the application we recognise as Maori names

I'm no expert on the subject and just now at this late hour have been unable to find one concise account of what the process of "alienation" meant in practical terms with regards to titles.

But it will not be "AGAINST THEM"

Not sure when I will be heading North again as early as Friday, but will add those files to others I wish to research at my first opportunity. Archives are not open on a Saturday.

Alan.

PS. If you can PM me with an email address I can reach you on, I can supply examples from previous searches into land alienation requests. They can contain a lot of interesting detail, including a good range of the postage stamps of the day, due to "stamp duty"

PPS In light of day found the explanation I was seeking. - Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 03:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for contact details, will supply photos when I have been able to view the Auckland held files. - Alan.

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Greetings.

UP DATE - sorry about the wait.

I've been out of action with both elective hand surgery, then just after being cleared for work, accidental damage to my hands. But this past week took the opportunity to do three days of research at Auckland's Archives NZ branch. Photographing up to 240 pages per day. Quite a mission.

I was finally able to access the file of your interest and would appreciate a PM as to how important this find is to your main research. Do you require just the pertinent facts, or would you like to see the whole file of possibly some 170+ pages.  I photographed the whole file when I recognised some of the prominent family names that were assigning their Maori Land entitlements over for Hans to uplift a 21 year lease. Many solicitor's letters  and single pages assigning their individual entitlement rights over to the leasing agreement.

Plans etc included.

Alan.

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 March 19 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Please advise when first batch of photos has safely arrived, and then I will send the second.

Must to bed.

Alan.

PS. I see an oop's above, in your case the number of photos for your interest is about 70 NOT 170.

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 March 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Again.

Final batch of 40 photos sent.

Pleased to hear that you recently were able to visit the land where Han's brother farmed.

Feel free to come back to me if you find more archived material of interest. With some luck the wait well not be so long, now that I'm mobile again. Deep in my own pioneering research, so expect to be back at the Auckland archives every few months.

Alan.

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
Edit ed...... I found him buried with his wife Jane Prebensen at the Hamilton West Cemetery (note: his burial record has no date and no information other than writing the fact he was buried)......  :)

NOTE for future reference. Han's surname was variously spelt  Prebensen, Prebenson and Preberson by the Hamilton Cemetery Website. While for a period Walter BURROW had quite a bit of undertaking [and cabinet making] as his business, and advertised frequently, but when he went out of business his records were destroyed, and not on sold to a buyer.

Competion was such that by 1918 the competing undertakers started using wooden print blocks for their adds.

Also it would appear that the deaths were not recorded with Birth's Death's and Marriages.

Alan.