Author Topic: Non Conformist Baptism  (Read 2703 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Non Conformist Baptism
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Benjamin Jagger h/o Betty Wood and Benjamin Jagger h/o Grace Lister are definitely two different people. I've now found both in the 1841 census. The former married 7-10-1805 Bradford and they are in Thornton in 1841; the latter married 3-7-1811 Halifax and he is at Jackson Hill, Northowram in 1841 (age recorded as 50) widowed - he was the one I was interested in.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have access to Ancestry?

If so, look in the West Yorkshire Non-Conformist Records - there are loads of Jaggers listed and some in Shelf and Dolphin.

Just in case you don't know - to find them go to the Card Catalogue and type 'non-conformist' (without the quotes) in the search box - and then select the West Yorkshire non-conformist records.
Please forgive if you do already know about these.

(I did notice a burial for a Jervis Jagger in 1865 and wondered if he was connected to your family).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Jan_down_south

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hannah Siddall nee Jagger circa 1939
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

Thank you for your continued input.

Arthurk, if you look at the reply from Fordyce it doesn't look as if Benjamin remarried.

Pennines - I don't have an Ancestry subscription but will delve more the next time I'm at the library.

Arthurk - With regard to other siblings, I have Jonas, Mercy, one Henry, Harriet then, after a long gap, Jarvis and lastly Daniel.  Now I have the Ancestry tip I will take another look.
Halifax -  Pratt, Lord, Blagbrough (Blakebrough), Naylor, Atkinson, Southwood, Cockroft, Hoyle, Dry, Denton, Barker and McDermott
Bradford/Clayton - Jagger
Bradford - Denton
Southowram - Pratt, Jagger
Hartshead/Clifton - Pratt
Sowerby - Siddall
Pershore Worcs - Clarke, Checketts
Lord, Ontario, Canada

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 01:00 BST (UK) »

...an Abraham and Hannah Jagger, both at Clayton Baptist Chapel in the time frame you mention.

I think, though I'm not entirely sure, that these are the parents of Joseph Jagger. The man who broke the bank in Monte Carlo!
A book about him has just been published, so there might be some info about that tree, and a few other branches, in there?
Article about him in the Mail here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6060625/The-cunning-trick-helped-Yorkshire-worker-win-7-5million-1800s-Monte-Carlo.html

Offline Jan_down_south

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hannah Siddall nee Jagger circa 1939
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 August 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Evening all - don't you just love it when Ancestry has had a free weekend?

Fordyce - Benjamin and Betty Jagger are not in Thornton in 1841, they are still in Clayton.  In fact I don't think they ever moved.

Jan  ;D

Halifax -  Pratt, Lord, Blagbrough (Blakebrough), Naylor, Atkinson, Southwood, Cockroft, Hoyle, Dry, Denton, Barker and McDermott
Bradford/Clayton - Jagger
Bradford - Denton
Southowram - Pratt, Jagger
Hartshead/Clifton - Pratt
Sowerby - Siddall
Pershore Worcs - Clarke, Checketts
Lord, Ontario, Canada

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 August 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Jan, It's these pesky censuses reflecting the ebb and flow of placenames over the years. Their address Little Moore in that part of Clayton township identified as Enumeration District 15 within the Registrar's Distict of Thornton. It never fails to confuse me, especially that Thornton and Clayton had become equivalent townships by 1861 rather than Clayton being within Thornton in 1841 and 1851.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 September 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan

WHEREAS a Petition of Jarvis Jagger, of Clayton Heights, near Bradford, in the county of York, Stuff Manufacturer, an insolvent debtor, having been filed in the Leeds District Court of Bankruptcy, and the interim order for protection from process having been given to the said Jarvis Jagger ...

Leeds Intelligencer, 17th April 1852
On Tuesday last, a game was played on Wibsey Slack, between Jarvis Jagger, of Bradford, and Isaac Drake, of Queen's Head, for £2 aside. The former was the victor by nearly 30 Scores.

Bushinn1746 - ... Thank you so much for the newspaper clippings, are they available online?  I wonder what sort of game was being played in 1852?

Many thanks
Jan

Hi Jan

The answer to the first one in the first quote (of mine, extract) was from The Gazette, Official Public Record (free online) also worth a try with name/s (and there may be other references to Jagger?) ...
https://m.thegazette.co.uk/

The British Newspaper Archive (BNA), was where the 1852 reference to "Jarvis Jagger" was found and there were other references too, to the Jagger surname in the area (BNA is also apparently on FindMyPast?)

Game Being Played - Knor and Spell
The game being played (newspaper printed it incorrect / h with an ink splash, making Knob) and I thought that was wrong, so I omitted that name in my original post.

However it was Knor and Spell  being played by Jarvis Jagger in 1852.

This is what the internet says about the game and there is more in the link with a picture ...

Knor and spell (aka 'knurr and spell') was a popular game in the West Riding during the 19th century which was often played on Woodhouse Moor. ...

http://woodhousemooronline.com/knor-and-spell/

Mark