Author Topic: Tyne Bridges  (Read 4764 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tyne Bridges
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 August 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
We went South of the Tyne today (£1.70 through the tunnel!). I wanted to look at the restored Roker lighthouse and underground passage and the new bridge across the Wear. The bridge was closed and parking was full at the pier.

I was so pleased to come back across the Bridge with all the others in view  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 August 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
It's a wonderful sight, all 7 bridges.
Does any other river have so many, so close together?
Whenever I cross I remember the rhyme
The Tyne the Tyne
The coally Tyne
The Queen of aal the rivers.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/eco-tourism/blogs/best-modern-pedestrian-bridges

If you scroll down on this link you will see a piece on the Gateshead Millennium Bridge and can view it in action.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
We are just back from 2 weeks holiday in Northumberland and Durham, searching for ghosts of ancestors, and birdwatching and beer. It was fascinating to discover that the Tyne is actually the North Tyne and south Tyne, and where we were staying was right at the source of the Wear. A lovely part of the country.   I have a photograph taken about 50 years ago, of me, my brother, my father and grandfather on the Stepping Stones at Stanhope, and we recreated this photograph.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
It becomes the River Tyne at Watersmeet, which is about a mile or so west of where I live.
https://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/motw.html
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
From Thurs 13 - Sun 16 September there are going to be free tours of the Swing Bridge in Newcastle as part of the ' Heritage Open Days.

Included in the tour is a viewing of the pump and engine room.

Each tour will last around 45 minutes and it is said that these tours are unsuitable for children under 12 and that appropriate footwear required (no heels).

Booking on-line is required.  Only those with confirmed bookings and co.posted forms will be permitted access.

www.newcastle.gov.uk/leisure-libraries-and-tourisn/events/heritage-open-days
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 10:50 BST (UK) »

www.newcastle.gov.uk/leisure-libraries-and-tourisn/events/heritage-open-days

link returns  page not found.

I firkled and found this page:

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/leisure-libraries-and-tourism/events/heritage-open-days#/all
Which says that they are now fully booked.
Shame, but for those who are interested and able to get there, it would be  worth putting a note in your diary for next year (booking seems to have opened on 1st August this year)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
Oh what a shame!  I just came across this in the Heritage Open Days book.  There are a number of tours through each day.  Oh well, sorry about this folks - I suppose it was bound to be popular.  I wonder if they have a cancellations list for interested people?

If not I suppose there is always next year for anyone interested and who can go.

Thanks, Boo.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
My hubbie's indirect ancestors were involved in the Newcastle bridge after it was destroyed by floods in 1771. John Stephenson built a temporary wooden bridge in 1772 which was replaced by a more permanent structure opened in 1781. It was immediately considered too narrow & John's son, David Stephenson was commissioned to widen it, work began in 1802 and the bridge remained until 1876. David Stephenson was an architect responsible for various buildings in Newcastle and was also involved in the design and rebuilding of several other bridges in the area. The link below is to a PDF about the rebuilding of the areas bridges after the Great Inundation of 1771
http://newcastle-antiquaries.org.uk/uta/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/The-Great-Inundation.pdf
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.