Author Topic: Tyne Bridges  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tyne Bridges
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 August 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
and the opening  of the bridge
https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-new-tyne-bridge-1928-online

I am really enjoying this one!

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 August 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, this does look quite scary ... I wouldn't be surprised if some died during this construction work .. certainly not a job for the faint hearted. :-\
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 August 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, this does look quite scary ... I wouldn't be surprised if some died during this construction work .. certainly not a job for the faint hearted. :-\

Apparently just one life was lost (which is still one too many).

Boo

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 August 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies  :)  It will take me some time to get through them.
It's obviously a wide subject.
I love local history.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 August 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
I agree even just one was too many.

Thanks for posting the link showing the opening Boo.  It was the first time I have seen this and I have enjoyed watching just now. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 August 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/forgotten-tragedy-tyne-bridge-worker-14293001

Just found this about the one person you mentioned who died.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 August 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/t/janet-macleod-trotter/no-greater-love.htm

It is ironic that we have been discussing someone who accidentally fell to their death whilst working on the Tyne Bridge.  Earlier this week I had started on the book on the link above.  The story opens in 1903 and the opening scene concerns the forthcoming funeral of Mabel Beaton's husband who had fallen to his death whilst working in a Tyne shipyard.  (No compensation or 'injury lawyers for you' in those days, alas) With the sudden loss of income Mabel is forced to sell off some of the family possessions in order to keep a roof over the family's heads.  Eventually, it becomes necessary for them to leave their home and move into a cheaper Victorian slum dwelling and Mabel tries to eake a living working in a laundry and then by selling second hand clothes with the help from her mother-in-law in minding the children.
However, it is her daughter Maggie who becomes the centre of this story.  Maggie grows up to become a suffragette.  Maggie unites with other Tyneside women in this movement, some of whom who are of a different social class which in itself causes difficulties.  She is also spurned by family and friends in her fight for social justice for women.  However, after an initial clash she gains the support of the passionate minded George Gordon who is a militant trade unionist.  The story leads on to the Great War and Maggie's 'courage and endurance is tested to the limit...'

I am thoroughly enjoying this book.  I have read the 'Jarrow Trilogy' before by this author which is all about the life and background of Catherine Cookson in three volumes.  These are fantastic reads which will easily give you a sense of being transported to another time. :)
The Jarrow Lass
Child of Jarrow
Return to Jarrow

http://www.janetmacleodtrotter.com/jarrow-lass.htm

http://www.janetmacleodtrotter.com/child-of-jarrow.htm

http://www.janetmacleodtrotter.com/return-to-jarrow.htm

I would recommend the above books to anyone interested in historical stories which feature life living on Tyneside and with references to many local places e.g. Newcastle and South Shields

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
I must join Gateshead library.
There's something fascinating about bridges, especially those that open and close. I didn't realise the Millenial Bridge could be raised.
We lived in Hessle E Yorks near where the Humber Bridge was being built, very interesting. Sadly they had to put up a suicide barrier as there had been a few falls and suicides.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow