Author Topic: Which Generation  (Read 541 times)

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Generation
« on: Friday 10 August 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
M and S are siblings. They have an unknown grandfather.
They share a dna match with E, also with a neice of E.

M shares 315cm with E and 143 with the neice.
S shares 289cm with E and 126 with the neice.

At first we thought that M, S and E shared a grandfather, but now we are wondering if the common ancestor is a generation further back (great grandfather)

There is a reliable family tree for the family in question.
What are you thoughts on the relationship.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which Generation
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
I have been working with a new match, 3rd cousin level, who knows little about her ancestry. I share 148 cM across 6 segments, my paternal first cousin has come up as a 4th cousin match, sharing 74 cM across 3 segments.

I have now worked out that our mutual ancestor was my 2G grandmother (who married 4 times), our joint common ancestors being our 3G grandparents, making us half 3rd cousins, full 4th cousins.

So, my cousin and  I share exactly half  the amount of DNA with her, at 148 and 74.

Since you are talking about 143 with the neice, it is very similar to my situation, but if you were comparing my cousin's, you might think it another generation back.

DNA isn't an exact science at all, you just have to keep plugging away at it. No definitive conclusions can be made at this stage of your search, as far as I can see.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Generation
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
The family in question came from Italy.

The latest titbit of information (received yesterday)is that the father of the child had a thick accent. This points to the elder suspect who migrated when he was around 20 years old 1906 -1909.
He would have been in his late 40's at the time.

Although his children probably spoke mostly Italian in the home (and no English until they started school) they would likely have little accent left by the time they were adults.

So the neice in question will be 2nd cousin to the siblings and the same generation

Marilyn