Author Topic: Birth register  (Read 2611 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth register
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
Might be Ethel in 1891

Piece: 1332 Folio: 50 Page 30
with parents Francis and Mary Jane and siblings
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
his mother was known as Evelyn carne  gunn ? But there are some uncertainty a out the mothers name 

Can you tell us where you have seen this name mentioned?

Who were the witnesses when George and Ellen married?

Debra  :)

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry l am researching for a lady l have some no coming through but it's a bit scatty will let you know when I've been in touch there are a few links to the name carne l am working on them at the mo ,will contact you Asap thankyou for your help l am sorry l cannot give you any answers just at the minute  eda
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 August 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
George Frederick Gunn is living with wife Inez  in Aldrington, Steyning Sussex on 1901 census. Later in 1901 she files for divorce (full name Inez Marie Larking Gunn - I think maiden name Jenner) on grounds of adultery and cruelty. Would fit with George Frederick fathering George Carne aka Gunn and marrying Ethel the following year when he got the decree absolute on 9 july 1902
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 August 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
George Frederick Gunn's parents possibly William Gunn and Fanny Highgate

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 31 December 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm working from the other end, and looking at the line back from George Gunn of Brighton and Steyning.

It would appear that before George married Ethel/Evelyn Carne in 1902 (M cert says Steyning District which includes the several Brighton sub-districts such as Hove and Preston) she gave birth to a son George (b1901). I have a copy of his birth cert, but no father is shown.

If this ties in with the line you are tracing, I can put you in touch with a descendant who has a number of family photos.

Roy G

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy l am just helping a lady with her search she has found quite a lot of information regarding her grt grt grandmother Ethel..what is your connection with the Gunn family ...it is so interesting  .

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eda
I have no family connection whatsoever, but the lady you are helping also posted on a Brighton website (not really designed for family research) which I still picked up on.

The Fishing family of Gunns and their connection with Brighton goes back at least 400 years, so as a former local historian, I try to document most mentions.  George's lot were quite interesting because their branch had made the leap from working hands on at sea, to the middle class where they were dealers. 

So far I have traced George's line back to Nathaniel Gunn and Martha.  That's not the famous Martha Gunn who was married to Stephen Gunn, for her maiden surname was Killick.  It would nevertheless be of interest to find Stephen's connection to Nathaniel.

I surmise from the documents the lady has that as George's marriage to Inez failed to bear fruit, George homed in on Miss Carne, who provided him with the son he needed and then went back to work as a barmaid at the Mid Kent Tavern in Lewisham, (Birth cert says - Hotel, but it wasn't).  As you know their marriage legitimised George Junior, but it did not seem to work out. 

As the Brighton site owners may soon zap your friend's submissions (for they have objected to its use for family research in the past) I'd like to keep this line of contact open, just in case I find more to add.

Regards Roy G