Author Topic: 1st Batt Rifle Brigade in 1850s  (Read 658 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1st Batt Rifle Brigade in 1850s
« on: Saturday 11 August 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the right place but here goes.

In 1853 my 3 X G Grandmother Sarah Ann PITTOCK born 1831 Walmer, Kent, married a James Judge in Deal, Kent.

Prior to the marriage in 1851 Sarah had given birth to a son Henry William PITTOCK and he was it seems adopted by a Thomas and Lucy MAY in Deal.

At the time James was a Corporal in the 1st Batt Rifle Brigade based at Dover Castle. He was born in Ireland. I think I found him in the 1851 census when he was based at Dover Castle.

After the marriage in 1853 I cannot find any trace of either James or Sarah so I am wondering if they went abroad with the Rifles and perhaps died abroad too.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Batt Rifle Brigade in 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has military records for -
1851 Worldwide Index - James Judge, No. 2177, Drummer and Fifer, 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade, location Dover, period 1/1/1851 - 31/3/1851

Medals and Awards 1857-1859 - James Judge, No. 11, Bugle Major, Clasp - Lucknow, Indian Mutiny Medal

1861 Worldwide Index - James Judge, No. 11, Serjeant, 3rd Battalion Rifle Brigade, location Bareilly East Indies

Baptisms
Born Jul 18th 1860, baptised Sep 30th 1860, Arthur Henry, boy, parents James and Sarah Anne Judge, profession - Sergeant Commissariat Department, place Muttra, India

Possibly the same James?

The 1851 Census has James Judge, age 30, bugler, 91st Rifles, born Westmeath

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Other children born to James and Sarah Ann Judge, profession Sergeant Commissariat Dept, India -

Charles Richard - 18 Sep 1861
Mary Jane - 17 Jan 1863
Frederick George - 4th Dec 1864
Elizabeth Gertrude - 23 Jan 1868

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hanes Teulu,

That is brilliant thank you, I have been tearing my hair out (Not a lot left now  ;D)

I really appreciate that.

Thank you again
Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 August 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
As an afterthought, would there be any way of finding out, if and when they ever returned to this country?
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
I began to check Censuses from 1871-1911 (including Ireland 1901-911) for the family but have drawn a blank so far, apart from a Charles Judge, born India about the right age on one of them -if I remember correctly, didn't take notes. I was going to check if another Charles had been born India around the same time.

I was going to further check FindMyPast's Indian records for possible deaths/marriages of the children and possible deaths for James and Sarah Ann.

I was also going to check Australian and New Zealand newspapers in case they ended up there. Are you familiar with "Trove" (Australia) and "Papers Past" (New Zealand)?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
Have you checked Familysearch for India births, deaths and marriages?