Author Topic: George Brunette in London and Bromley mid to late 1700s.  (Read 617 times)

Offline garybrunette

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Brunette in London and Bromley mid to late 1700s.
« on: Saturday 11 August 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the origins of George Brunette who was from London and Bromley.

Index of Marine officers (from Royal Marine Museum) indicates a George Brunett as being commissioned in the 13th Company of Chathan Division Marines as 2nd Lieutenant on the 25 February 1796. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant of the 47th Company at Portsmouth Division on 01 October 1798.
02 November 1799: served on HMS Royal Oak
25 April 1800: struck off list for neglect of duty.

West Kent Quarter Sessions Index 1788-1804 B
Brunette, George  1801  Bromley  Discharge from Goal debtor, marine          22

Extracts:
….goaler at Maidstone…….on the petition of George Brunette late first lieutenant in his Majesty’s Marine Forces at Portsmouth and late of London and Bromley in the county of Kent a prisoner in custody of the said goaler….…was detained for debt at the ? of Lewis Monnett in ? for twelve pounds twelve shillings by ? out of his Majesty’s Court of King’s Bench at Westminster

Subsequently, took a commission: Lieutenant of His Majesty's 2nd Ceylon Regiment
Married Ann Macnamara on 27 Dec 1805 (b. c1787, d. 11 Dec 1842 at Colombo, Ceylon), Daughter of Col. Matthew Macnamara

Died: J. P. Lewis's "List of inscriptions on tombstones and monuments in Ceylon” (p. 408):
'February 10, 1808 - George Brunette.
"At Jaffna, Lieut. Brunette, 2nd Ceylon".

The name is spelt both "Brunette" and "Brunet" in the 'Gazette'. Lieutenant Brunette died insolvent, but his estate was being administered as long after his death as 1814.'

I can find no earlier record of him in London or Bromley. Also have found no mention of a Brunet(te) family in Bromley.

I assume a birth date of about 1775.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Gary Brunette (late of Cape Town and Atlanta)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: George Brunette in London and Bromley mid to late 1700s.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 18 05:36 BST (UK) »
Greetings, and a slightly belated welcome to Rootschat.

The lack of responses doesn't mean we aren't looking, we just haven't found anything yet!

Just a quick question - have you looked for name variations such as BURNETT?

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garybrunette

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Brunette in London and Bromley mid to late 1700s.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thanks for the message.

I appreciate the continued interest in my post.

Yes, I have looked at alternate surname spellings: Brunet, Brunett, Brunette and Burnett. Based on the information I have it appears the family have French origins and therefore a Brunet ancestor is the most likely.

Regards
Gary