Author Topic: 10th London regiment hackney  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Knight19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
10th London regiment hackney
« on: Saturday 11 August 18 18:10 BST (UK) »
hi looking for information on the 10th London hackney regiment in the war 1914 to 1919 my grandad served in 13/12/16 to 14/6/17 would like to know where he was at this time as I can’t find any information on him. His name is Horatio hector Jolliffe his reg number is 448806 s25227 thank you if anyone can help Kate

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 10th London regiment hackney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

Have to start by saying that his service record looks as if it is among the 60% or so that were destroyed in bombing in the second war.  A medal card exists which has the two numbers.  The first is his 10 London Regiment number.   Luckily, the medal roll tells us that between the dates you give, he was in France (there were two battalions, 2/10th in France, 1/10th in Egypt).

There are war diaries for that period but they need a little more digging, I seem to have a missing period.

Back later.

Max
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Knight19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much x

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
The war diary here:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355127 which you can download for £3.50 covers the period Feb 1917 onwards which is when 2/10th went to France.  I can't at the moment account for the period of his service between Dec 1916 and Feb 1917.

His other number was in the Rifle Brigade and the medal roll gives 15th Battalion.  Problem with that is that a medal record has units a man served in overseas and 15th was a home based unit so I am at a (hopeful temporary) loss to know who he served with overseas in those early months of his service and do not know when he transferred from whoever to 2/10th London.  The medal roll dates should show the dates he was overseas, mistakes can't be ruled out and perhaps he didn't go until Feb 1917.

I'll dig away but meanwhile there may be someone out there with the answer.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Knight19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much x

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 18 07:38 BST (UK) »
On reflection, and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I would suggest the following scenario which was not untypical.

Grandad trains in England with 15 Battalion Rifle Brigade and in December 1916 is sent to France as an individual reinforcement (that is - not yet with a particular unit).  He arrives at an Infantry Base Depot where reinforcements await posting to a unit. He is at this point still "belonging" to 15 RB which is why it is on his medal card.

2/10 London arrive in France in early February 1917 and (we don't know the date) he is sent to join that battalion.  The war diary records that in June 1917 there were men wounded on 5th and 6th and that on 14 Jun 1917, the battalion carried out a raid on the enemy trenches sustaining a number of casualties.  It is possible that he was one of those casualties and was evacuated back to England.

As said, without his record or other evidence that is about as much as can be cobbled together.  I'd suggest you look through the war diary to get a feel for where he was and what the battalion were doing.  Do ask if it raises more questions

Amended in light of further evidence, see later post.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Knight19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
I will check the war diary out thank you. I do know that he got shrapnel in his back and they thought he was dead put him on the cart when someone released he was breathing. That’s all I have. I can’t thank you enough for this information you’re helped so much Kate

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
I've found 25227 H Jolliffe on a list of Sick and Wounded NCOs.  Says:

Winchester Records Office, List No. H.A. 7609
25227 Pte Jolliffe H
5 att 3 R.Bde "A"
Debility Slt
Adm 8 Red Cross H. Le Tourquet 14 March 1917

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
STG That is most useful information and means that he did serve with the RB in France (that is what the "5 att 3 RB A means) (debility slt means weakness slight) (Winchester is where the RB records Office was not where he was)  which means looking at the 10th London again.  It could well be that after hospital he went back to duty but with the 10th.  Never mind, just need to pull out the drawing board again later today.

Kate - more to come thanks to STG's find which accords with his dates in France.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk