Author Topic: Thomas Lucas, Leeds  (Read 497 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Lucas, Leeds
« on: Saturday 11 August 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information on my 3x great grandmother Mary Winder's first husband Thomas Lucas. I know they married 20 Sep 1802 in Leeds. I think that the attachment I added is from the Bishop's Transcripts. Does anyone know if this might be available from the church (St Peter, Leeds Parish Church)? I am hoping to find his father's name. He was in the 8th Regiment of Foot and died in Canada in 1812. I haven't found his military record either but I know all this bc I found a death document on a Canadian website. It names his wife Mary who was given his medals and pay. She stayed in Canada and married Richard Derrom, a follow sergeant in the 8th Regiment. I am not aware of any children. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially finding the original marriage record. Thanks!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lucas, Leeds
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
There will be no father information on a marriage of that era.
The groom is a Cloth Dresser, not a military man.

There may be an alternative image on ancestry.
West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline plk74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
The image above corresponds to the image on Ancestry, which should be the parish register, not the BT.  Signatures on the page are in different styles.

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 18 00:41 BST (UK) »
There will be no father information on a marriage of that era.
The groom is a Cloth Dresser, not a military man.

There may be an alternative image on ancestry.
West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812

FindMyPast: British Army, War Of 1812 Casualties
Has Thomas Lucas, sergeant, 8th (King's) Regiment Of Foot - 1st Battalion, died 20 Nov 1812, born Leeds, former occupation Cloth Dresser

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 August 18 01:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Libby9 I hadn't seen the findmypast information so that is helpful. Pauline you are correct on the occupation. I forgot to mention he got married and then signed up in the same year but a little later. I think I will post something on the military page since I can't find his attestation papers (I can for Mary's second husband in the same regiment). Again, thanks!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton