Author Topic: Tarves Cemeteries  (Read 1771 times)

Offline lynne_uk21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tarves Cemeteries
« on: Saturday 11 August 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me I was looking for my ancestors who were buried in Tarves burial ground according to ANESFHS  MI`s I visited Scotland 5 years ago and I went to Tarves parish church and looked around the kirkyard looking for graves stone: 261 belonging to the following
Robert Brechen d:1 Apr 1797, his wife Margaret Gaven d: 17 May 1809
Margaret Adam   d: 9 Mar 1811, and her husband George Breichen  d:9 Oct 1821 would they be buried in the grounds of the parish church ?. Another member of the family visited Tarves recently and said there was some fairly newish markers in the church grounds and she didnt think the above would be buried here. My question is would there be another cemetery or kirkyard in Tarves that would fit there dates of death? any help would be appreciated

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tarves Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 18 07:34 BST (UK) »
I take it you found the gravestone (which would exist if the ANESFHS had recorded it)? In that case, especially if they actually lived in the parish of Tarves, they would be buried in the kirkyard. There is another cemetery on the outskirts of the village, but it is much more recent.

One thing about where folk are buried; it may be that they are in the kirkyard, but in a neighbouring grave to the one with their name on the stone. Sometimes a family had two or more lairs, but only erected a stone on one.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
I have a map/layout of the cemetery, but for the life of me, I cannot put my hand on it as yet. I have family interred there.

Malky

Offline lynne_uk21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
I found the flat stone but it very hard to read it was so weather beaten . The headstone is supposed to read Tarves

"Here lies the body of Robert Brechen late of Kinharrachie who departed this life 1st Apr 1797 aged 57... Also of Margaret Gaven his spouse d 17 May 1809 aged 80. Likewise of Margaret Adam spouse to George Breichen (sic) Surgeon in Kinharrachie who d 9 Mar 1811 aged 51. Also of the above Dr George Breichen d 9 Oct 1821 aged 77.

George and Margaret were married in Chapel of Garioch and lived in Ellon until their deaths. I cant seem to find anything on George being a Doctor or surgeon

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Here is an image of their parents marriage in Tarves 5th Apr 1741.

I believe they are also the parents of my Ancestor Peter Brechin, but there is no record of his birth.

Have you done any dna (Gedmatch) tests?

Best wishes

Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Re the above, the first parish is Tarves but what is the second one ? It looks like "Melonm"

Malky

Having dug a little further, it looks like Meldrum.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
I agree. I read it as Meldrum before I saw what you had said.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 18 23:24 BST (UK) »
This may be of interest to you both. By entering Kinharrachie in the search of scotlandspeople I found a few Brichens' wills & inventories. The last one was for a Jane Todd or Brechin who died 5th December 1909. Looks like they're possible relatives?
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 06:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you flst
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes