Author Topic: Inviting others to view your Ancestry Tree  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inviting others to view your Ancestry Tree
« on: Sunday 12 August 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
I have a 2nd cousin DNA match on Ancestry. I can tell from our shared matches that we match on the maternal line. This is the best UNKNOWN match I've had so far. The best known matches are my 2 first cousins and I know where we link.

I sent a message to this new contact a couple of days ago. They have no family tree and I asked if they would look at my public tree to see if we share any surnames in common.

I know they were on Ancestry yesterday. I'm aware they may be completely disinterested in anything other than their ethnicity but this is SOOO frustrating ;D as it's possible they may have the answers to my brick walls - which are almost all on my maternal side.

Anyway, It's occurred to me that they may not be able to see my tree if they don't have a subscription?

If I invite them to view my tree could they then view it?

I've tried inviting them using their Ancestry User Name but I get an Error message telling me I must use a Valid Username!! I've copied and pasted it to make sure it's exactly correct ??? ::) :o

I have a full subscription to Ancestry so does this mean that I can't invite someone to view my tree if they don't?
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inviting others to view your Ancestry Tree
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
A person cannot view a tree unless they have a subscription.

And, even if they do have a subscription, you cannot force them to answer your message! :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
Don't quote me on it  -  I am no expert.  I do have a private free Family tree on Anc.  and have invited various family members - who are definitely not Anc. subscribers.  Can you not just invite them through their emails?  It is a while since I did the invites, but remember it being straightforward, and family connected and gained access without having to do anything special.  I will say  though, that I have also given access to rather distant family connections, and most of them have respected my tree - no problems.. I do note however that one person in particular has taken quite a bit from my tree recently - no worries,... except that they have given me access to their tree - and oh dear... it is the most confused tree I have ever seen.  It appears that they pick up anc. "hints" and run with them - one poor guy (not connected to my tree thank God) has marriages to 3 different wives - and lives in three different countries at the same time - resulting in multiple "half" siblings.  I can be fairly sure that it is all due to the enthusiasm of a "newbie" researcher who doesn't worry about actual verification and certificates....  But also means that some of the research I have done over the years, now appears on a tree which has problems!  Just a comment - !!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
I have had trouble recently inviting someone to view my tree - wouldn't accept the username. Had to ask for her email and that worked first time. Another one of those annoying glitches.

If you invite anybody to see your tree they are able to see it, subscriber or not. They won't​ have access to attached records without a subscription, though there is a way round this. They have to set up an account like anyone else, but your match must have done that already.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 August 18 10:58 BST (UK) »

And, even if they do have a subscription, you cannot force them to answer your message! :-\

I know. The initial message that I typed in their "send a message" window was very polite, I pointed out that I appreciated they may only be interested in their ethnicity and that I wouldn't contact them again if this was the case.....however, having gone to all that effort the message wouldn't send and I got the error message. I even listed the surnames of possible shared ancestors in case they weren't familiar with viewing family trees.

HO HUM :(
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
I have had trouble recently inviting someone to view my tree - wouldn't accept the username. Had to ask for her email and that worked first time. Another one of those annoying glitches.

If you invite anybody to see your tree they are able to see it, subscriber or not. They won't​ have access to attached records without a subscription, though there is a way round this. They have to set up an account like anyone else, but your match must have done that already.

Regards Margaret

Thanks Margaret,
I will try once more to contact this lady via email. Then I'll give up
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
I've clicked on her name but all I get is her user name. How do I access her email address?
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid you can't, unless she gives it to you

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid you can't, unless she gives it to you

Regards Margaret

:'(