Author Topic: Inviting others to view your Ancestry Tree  (Read 2093 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Inviting others to view your Ancestry Tree
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Images from private trees appear as hints to anyone with the same names etc. I don't have a sub but have done the DNA test so put a very simple tree on the site. Now I get photos I posted on facebook from my cousin's son's private tree as hints. I can't see his tree.

If someone invites you to see their tree, you can definitely do so without having a subscription.

I have just confirmed it, though I already knew it. My husband had to register for DNA purposes, but has not got a subscription or tree at Ancestry. Logged out of my account and into his - no access to trees or anything else,except his DNA data. I then logged back into my account and invited him to see my tree. Logged back into his account - hey presto, he has access to my tree..

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
And she has responded! ;D ;D And she's a descendant of the Harringtons! ;D ;D

So pleased! She may not have any additional information but it looks as if her grandfather was a sibling of my grandmother. She may have photos! ;D ;D

Well done. I don't usually send a second message, perhaps I should try more often.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 August 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Images from private trees appear as hints to anyone with the same names etc. I don't have a sub but have done the DNA test so put a very simple tree on the site. Now I get photos I posted on facebook from my cousin's son's private tree as hints. I can't see his tree.

If someone invites you to see their tree, you can definitely do so without having a subscription.

I have just confirmed it, though I already knew it. My husband had to register for DNA purposes, but has not got a subscription or tree at Ancestry. Logged out of my account and into his - no access to trees or anything else,except his DNA data. I then logged back into my account and invited him to see my tree. Logged back into his account - hey presto, he has access to my tree..

Regards Margaret

I don't want to see his tree.

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 August 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
And she has responded! ;D ;D And she's a descendant of the Harringtons! ;D ;D

So pleased! She may not have any additional information but it looks as if her grandfather was a sibling of my grandmother. She may have photos! ;D ;D

Well done. I don't usually send a second message, perhaps I should try more often

Regards Margaret]

Margaret. I usually only send a message once. I wonder in this particular situation whether my cotactee either:

a) responded just to shut me up. Time will tell...or
b) because I was able to identify which part of the family we matched on in advance and could specify surnames, perhaps my contactee could see it was a genuine connection?

A lot of matches are obviously speculative until proof is provided and sometimes that isn't forthcoming.

I've wasted time trying to find a possible match and come up with zilch.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 August 18 18:30 BST (UK) »
I sent one of my matches a second message. She told me that she'd not received the first one.
It's proved how a second message is worth sending. She is  a 3rd cousin  and has gave me info which pointed the way to great granddad  :)

As others have said, Ancestry messaging is somewhat unreliable.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***