Author Topic: Inviting others to view your Ancestry Tree  (Read 2095 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inviting others to view your Ancestry Tree
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
I don't have an Ancestry subscription (but have registered with them) so I am still able to view trees to which I have been invited. Several of the tree owners have given me permission to make changes but I haven't done so (don't know if I would need a subscription for that).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 August 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
aghadowey

You wouldn't need a subscription to make changes if you have been invited to do so.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 August 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Margaret. One of those family trees is such a mess that I wouldn't even begin to know where to start (a few years ago a photo of my father's gravestone was added which was a bit of a surprise. Not only was he still alive but this cousin had spoken to him recently and should have known the stone wasn't for the correct person). In general, I've made it a rule not to make any changes myself but to supply the details and lets the tree owner decide  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 August 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
I can be fairly sure that it is all due to the enthusiasm of a "newbie" researcher who doesn't worry about actual verification and certificates....  But also means that some of the research I have done over the years, now appears on a tree which has problems!  Just a comment - !!!

I don't have much info. on 'Fancestry' (too time consuming) but I did have it 'Public' originally.
However, likewise, I have seen so many errors on trees of people who I'd sent certs. to for them to verify my work i.e. I can't fathom how on earth they could get it wrong for it to then be copied by several others & yet more inaccuracies with wrong dates, added children (who don't exist), well, some do (others don't) but to a previous marriage i.e. with a different surname...I gave up a long time ago on that aspect!

If someone sends me a message, I ask their connection/interest & if I get wrong info back, I state so then do some research to put them on the correct trail rather than them 'adopting' my family who they have sailing from one island to another/kids with wrong surnames/dates out of line which gives me a genealogy jigsaw like a pic of a tin of beans i.e. not something I want to unravel as I have all the proof (every BMD/Census') & can't fathom how/where/what reason they can get it so wrong  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 August 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
I find I have to use their emails to invite them. I was under the impression if you invited them to a tree they could see even if you have n't got a sub

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 August 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
I had an email from ancestry yesterday, telling me that a 'member' noted that a photograph I had was not the people it purported to be..  Straight and to the point - with the correct details with it. 

Now I appreciate that I was told, because I had been given the photograph by a.n.other ancestry member.

However the tree he was talking about is private.   AND for some moments, this oldish head -- wondered how he managed to see the photograph..

I was concerned, so checked it out -

I imagine he was viewing the 'original pic posters' tree --- and the comments on the pic page -- (gosh this is complicated :))

and hopefully Ancestry noted his comments - which are then forwarded to people who have 'shared by' on that page.

Anybody understand any of that. !!!

The only reason I added all this to this particular post, was my moments concern that a Private   tree --- was not actually as private as I hoped.

ok.. going now.eek

xin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 August 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Images from private trees appear as hints to anyone with the same names etc. I don't have a sub but have done the DNA test so put a very simple tree on the site. Now I get photos I posted on facebook from my cousin's son's private tree as hints. I can't see his tree.

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 August 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
I have messaged my contactee again and said that I quite understand that she might only be interested in her ethnicity not her ancestry and if that is the case I won't contact her again.

I pointed out that she probably won't be able to see my tree if she doesn't have a subscription.

I've listed the possible ancestor surnames that we hopefully share and asked if they mean anything to her.

I now wait in hope.

Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 August 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
And she has responded! ;D ;D And she's a descendant of the Harringtons! ;D ;D

So pleased! She may not have any additional information but it looks as if her grandfather was a sibling of my grandmother. She may have photos! ;D ;D
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire