Author Topic: WW 1 Records  (Read 1267 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW 1 Records
« on: Sunday 12 August 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Have accessed and downloaded the records of my forebear who emigrated to Australia in 1913 from Wales and joined the Australian Infantry.  He was killed in 1917.

These records are held by the National Archive of Australia.

I wasn't able to photocopy these records - is it possible to get them sent as paper copies?

Is proof of identity asked for and how would I pay?

Thanks (I live in the UK)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: WW 1 Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
As you have downloaded them may I suggest you save that file to a stick and take it to a commercial printing place .... if you want naa to provide copy, it will be plain bond paper and around $75 .... not sure if that covers overseas postage .... but you do NOT need ID to order WWI service records...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi zetlander,
   How very sad.

I wonder if this associated site makes the file easier for you to print - there is a little print button.  https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/

It is free to register but you don't need to register just to print out the service records.  However if you do register you can contribute photos and other family info to the person.  It helps to preserve the information about the person for others.  I do recommend doing this - perhaps later.

Just type the name into the main searchbox at the top right hand corner.  Choose the service record and then hit "print".

Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 18 01:46 BST (UK) »

I wasn't able to photocopy these records - is it possible to get them sent as paper copies?

Thanks (I love in the UK)

Getting printed copies used to be available - but it was more expensive than getting digital copies (for records not currently digitised). It appears this option has been removed, although a message to the archives may clarify this. (There was no ID requirement and payment was by credit card online)

As others have said, there are other options that should allow you to print. If you have a printer attached to your computer, the program you use to display the images should include a print option. If you do not have such a program, I use a readily available, easy to use, free image display program. It sizes the images perfectly to fit the paper size you are printing. Not sure if  this site allows me to name the software. Send me a PM if you are interested in same.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 August 18 04:13 BST (UK) »
I anticipate that Zetlander seeks paper copy for the following AIF chap.

http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/7031396/1

49 pages in his service record.  Pages 9, 10, 11, 12 are typed up Casualty details.

10th Reinforcements, 25th Battalion, 23 April 1917  ...  Unit Diary  https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/AWM4/ and then to https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1339158

Re his Grave ... correspondence in 1920 on the file does not give location.  This is not unusual, many had no known grave.  See page 18 in the file for a letter from his brother, giving further information...  The file shows he is commemorated at Villers-Bretonneux
 http://www.somme-battlefields.com/memory-place/australian-national-memorial-sir-john-monash-centre-villers-bretonneux

LEST WE FORGET

JM

The live link for that chap's AIF papers is within the above quote.   I attach a snip showing the print button available there, immediately to the left of the number '1'   .... It can be significant to remember that if your printer is loaded with A4 paper, that these pages were NOT on A4 paper.  The printer options need to be reset to reflect that .... - some pages will best fit as Portrait, some as Landscape, some will need their overall scale re-defined... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 August 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Zetlander,

I have just managed to print off a copy and also save as a .pdf files.

Will send you a pm to sort out how to post to you.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 August 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Zetlander,

I have just managed to print off a copy and also save as a .pdf files.

Will send you a pm to sort out how to post to you.

Regards

Sarah :)

Brilliant - Thank you so much - will send sae.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 06:49 BST (UK) »
Have just finished volunteering  on a major project re WW1 soldiers and was easily able to print pages from their records use CtrP. Send images to stick as advised and maybe your local Library would print at a much reduced cost ( or try the equivalent of Off....works)
Stephanie from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia