Author Topic: Dr Barnardos records for children in care and adoption for the period 1882-1885  (Read 2773 times)

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My ancestor, Thomas Pyle, was murdered in Durham in 1882 and his killer was hung in Durham jail in 1883. Before he died he was living with a partner and 5 or 6 children who were his and not his partners. So when he died his partner went elsewhere to live and the story in the family is that some or all of his children went into Dr Bernardo's care and were adopted by a lady in Durham with the surname Hodgson and as a mark of respect all subsequent children born into the family had Hodgson as a middle name including myself. I am trying to find out if these children were in Dr Barnardos care and adopted by someone called Hodgson. Has anyone any information that might help me. I know that I can contact Dr Barnardos direct but the search fees will be high for 5 or 6 children. Thanks!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Barnardos records for children in care and adoption for the period 1882-1885
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
Do you know the names, ages or birthdates and birthplaces of the children? If so, I would start by tracking them in all possible census records after the father died (1891, 1901, 1911) then check for deaths and marriages.
Have you been in contact with other descendants? it's possible they may have stories, photos or documents which might help.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Barnardos records for children in care and adoption for the period 1882-1885
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, adoption only became a legal process in England & Wales in 1927 so there won't be any official records of her involvement and their name changes.

It sound as if this could have been a newsworthy story, maybe local newspapers might help.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
there are 2 Thomas Pyle's in Durham of similar age (50 at death reg in 1882) but your Thomas was a platelayer at colliery (news reports) and in your previous posts you say Thomas' mother was Harriet and Thomas the son also married Harriet

I think the children would have been too old to go to Barnados -sometimes family recollections are based on assumptions or wandering down the wrong path - do you have any evidence that children went to Barnados??

Forgive me if I am wrong but to me this looks lke your Thomas
Herd Row Framwellgate moor Durham
Thomas Pyle head M 30 coal miner Houghton le spring Durham
Harriett wife 28 Hetton Durham
Robert son 10 Labourer in Coal Mine Hetton
Joseph son 7 Shadforth? Durham
Harriet daughter 2 Herdston ? Durham
RG9 3738 105 37

Broomside Durham
Thomas Pyle head M 39 coal Miner lambston Durham
Harriet wife 38 hetton Durham
Robert son U 19 Miner Ludworth
Joseph son 16 Miner Ludworth
Harriett daughter 11 Castle Eden
Thomas son 8 Coxhoe
Ralph son 4 Framwellgate Moor
Mary Ann daughter 1 Crook
RG10 4967 113 34

by 1881 Thomas was a widower
No 56 3 Row Whitehouse Colliery Durham
Thomas Pyle head widower 47 Colliery Plate layer New Lambton Durham
Ann Dixon servant U 37Hexham Northumberland
Robert J Dixon son 6 Hexham Northumberland
RG11 4981 52 13

by 1881 Thomas' son Joseph had married a lady older than himself who had children from previous relationship and Joseph's siblings Thomas, Ralph,Mary and Ann were living with Joseph and his wife

by 1891 Ann Dixon is calling herself a widow
1891 Cockhouse Cottage Office RowUshaw Moor Esh Durham
Ann Dixon Head widow 46
Annie M Dixon daughter U 21ag lab
Robert J Dixon son 15 Assistant banksman at coal mine
all b Hexham Northumberland

Is this your family ? I will try to find a Hodgson/Pyle connection

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz - thanks for your helpful information to date. I have saved a lot of information that I believe relates to my family history. I recognise some of the information in your reply which contradicts my families handed down hiatory that my ancestor Thomas Pyle, a miner, was the same person who was murdered at the Redhills in Durham in 1882. His murderer, Peter Bray was hung in Durham jail in 1883. He was living with a partner and children when he died. The assumption was his children went in to care and his partner went elsewhere. One of the children at least was taken in by a lady called Hodgson hense the middle name being handed down through the family from then on. In a Durham newspaper article I read sometime ago it confirmed the information about him living with a concubine called Ann when he was murdered. Seems like your information and mine has a definite connection but some of it contradicts itself. If you find anything about the middle name Hodgson followed by the surname Pyle, not hyphinated, then that would be very helpful. In the meantime I need to carefully check your information against what I have. I will come back asap.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
I think the census information I posted corresponds with newspaper reports and family reports
1861 and 1871 Thomas is with wife Harriet and children and he is a coal miner
1881 he was a widower occ Platelayer in colliery (which meands laying the track in the colliery instead of digging the coal) and his occupation in newspapwr reports is given as Platelayer and with a"Servant" Ann Dixon - this fits with the "concubine Ann" report  -on the census she was passed off as being a servant. The child Robert J Dixon seems to be Ann's child but Thomas could have fathered him. By 1881 many of Thomas Children were living with their brother Joseph and wife (I will try to find out her maiden name)
Which child took the name Hodgson Pyle??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi  - Suz. At long last I think, with your invalueable help, I have just realised something that discounts the idea that when Thomas was murdered at Durham his 'servant' Ann went elsewhere and his child/ren went into care and one of them was adopted by a woman called Hodgson and thats where all new members of my family were given this as their middle name.
It looks like two of Thomas's children already had the middle name Hodgson before he was killed so they could not of had the middle name due to adaoption later after he died. Still don't know why the middle name was given to them and subsequent children in the family! Thomas had a son Edward Hodgson Pyle born on Apr/Jun 1864. Unfortunately he died 1st June 1865. Also his son Ralph, same name as my father, born Apr/Jun 1866 had the middle name shown in the birth record for that period.
So this leaves me with where did his children go to on his death? Did they go with Ann and her child Robert J Dixon or did, if she went elsewhere, did they stay together as a family because the elder children were probably old enough to look after the younger ones? i don't have a copy of the 1891 census for the Durham area to explore that possibility.
I have found it very hard to go further back further than Thomas but I believe his father was Thomas Pyle christened 20 jan 1783 born at Woodhorn Northumberland and his wife was Harriet Pyle (nee: Kirtley) born possibly 1794 in Scotland. She maybe the same Harriet that is listed aged 77 in the 1871 census in a private house at Monkheseldon Easington.
I have had to make some educated guesses about the rest of my family members on the Pyle side only going back to 1700 living in the Northumberland area.
It's harder than some people think to do your family history even though I chose only to discover  my ancestors with my surname Pyle to try and make easier.Thank you very much for your help!! Robert.   

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
1881 Thomas Pyle is with "servant" Ann and his children aren't with him - most of the children are with their Brother
Helmington Row Durham
Joseph Pyle Head M 26 coal Miner Hetton Durham
Mary A Pyle wife 43 Ludworth Durham
Thomas Thompson son in law U 21 Bourton Close
Ann Thompson daughter in law U 19
Margaret Thompson daughter in law 13
James Thompson son in law 2
Thomas Pyle son 18
Ralph Pyle son15
Mary Pyle daughter 13
Ann Pyle daughter 10
George Appleby uncle U 56 coal miner
all born in various parts of Durham
RG11 4924 68 2

this seems to be their marriage
18 Dec 1875 Witton Gilbert Durham
Joseph Pyle
single
father Thomas Pyle
Mary Ann Thompson
widow
father William Wilkin

I think this is Joseph's wife(although haven't found a marriage) in 1871 with her first husband
1871 21 Rumly Hill
James Thompson Head M 54 coal miner Ellenton
Mary Ann wife 35
John son 16 coal miner Bowden Close
Margaret daughter 15
Thomas son 13
Annie daughter 9
Margaret daughter 3
David Bramen lodger widower  57
RG10934 113 36

have found birth reg of Ralph's son
Ralph Hodgson Pyle Dec qtr 1899 Chester le Street d.o.b. 11 Oct 1899 (from death reg)
1901 Stanley Durham
Ralph Pyle Head M 34 Hewer Durham
Mary Ada wife 33 Gateshead
Thomas W son 3 Pelton Fell
Ralph H Pyle son age entered as 16 sould be 16 months Pelton Fell
RG13 4664 81 29

I'll try to look further back on the Hodgson Pyle

Suz

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 August 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
Ralph Hodgson Pyle born 1866 I believe had 5 children. Thomas W Pyle born in 1898. Ralph Hodgson Pyle born 1899. Joseph Hodgson Pyle born 1903 (my grandfather). Harriet Hodgson Pyle born 1908 died the same year. Robert Hodgson Pyle born 1910 (he died 1927 after being badly scolded by my grandfather).
My father was Ralph Hodgson Pyle born 1927 died 2012. My aunt was Doreen Hodgson Pyle born 1928 died 2005. My uncle is George Hodgson Pyle born 1930 then me Robert Hodgson Pyle born 1951. I believe Thomas Hodgson Pyle born 1899 had a son called Cyril Hodgson Pyle born in 1924.
The earliest mention I have found of a child with the middle name Hodgson was Edward Hodgson Pyle born 1864 and died 1st June 1865.
Prior to that I have no information of the Hodgson middle and I have struggled to find Thomas's, who died in 1882, parents who I believe were Thomas born 1782/1783 and Harriet (Nee: Kirtley) Pyle born 1793/1794. I have gone further back than that but my information is not set in stone.
At least the Dr Barnardos idea has been finally put to rest but I might never know where the Hodgson came from!

Robert