Author Topic: Dr Barnardos records for children in care and adoption for the period 1882-1885  (Read 2784 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Barnardos records for children in care and adoption for the period 1882-1885
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 August 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
In your recent reply you mention that the 1851 census shows Harriet is 57 living with others in her household. The record I have found for the same census date lists only Harriet at 57 and her daughter Mary Ann Pyle 19 (born 1832) single and a straw hat maker. No other family members are listed. HO107 2394 / 143 Page 8.

Robert.   

Chester le Street
(bottom of page)
Harriet Pyle Head widow 57 Scotland
Mary Ann Pyle daughter U 19 Straw Hat maker Houghton Le Spring Durham
(top of next page)
Edward Pyle son 12 Coal Miner benton Northumberland
Thomas Pyle son M 21 Coal Miner Houghton le Spring
Harriet Pyle daughter in law M Leeds Yorks
Ann Pyle 8mths daughter (should be granddaughter)Shadforth Durham
HO107 2394 143 page 9-10

Harriet in 1861
Pump Row Framwellgate
Edward Pyle head M 23 Coal Miner Gosforth Northumberland
Ann Pyle wife 19 Wales
Mary Ann Pyle daughter 1mth Castle Eden
Harriet Pyle Mother W Scotland
RG9 3738 99 25

Have you checked out Edward & Ann's marriage ? The more I look at it the more I think the Hodgson marriage is viable

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Barnardos records for children in care and adoption for the period 1882-1885
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 23 August 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
I have o be quick as I am due to go out - think I may have sorted the Appleby connection

Haven't proven this exactly yet but bear with me

Mary Ann Thompson who married Joseph Pyle (she was much older than Joseph) was a widow when they married and he maiden name was Wilkin
According to the marriage her father was William Wilkin
there is this marriage
William Wilkin
Ann Appleby
21 Jan 1832 Bishopwearmouth

so possibly (needs researching) George Appleby was the brother of Ann Appleby (Mary Ann Thompsons mother) so he would be uncle to Mary Ann and also through Mary Ann's marriage to Joseph Pyle he would be uncle to Joseph Pyle
Will research this more at a later date

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 August 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry to say that so far I have been unable to find Edwards wife's surname because I cannot find any details of their marriage. Ann was born in Buckley Wales in 1843/1844. She was only 17/18 when they had their first child in 1861/1862. I will continue looking.
Joseph had a Thomas Thompson (son in law) and a Ann Thompson (daughter in law) living with them in the 1881 census. In the 1901 census they had a James Thompson (adopted son) and a Mary A Greenwood (adopted daughter) living with him and his wife Mary Ann.
I did a google search for the surname Appleby living in my area and came up with a family search website looking for ancestors for this surname in my area. I have written to the email address shown but this entry was from 2016 and so I have not received a reply.
I will carry on with my quest.

Robert 

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 August 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
Looking at that request for information about the name Appleby in my area, by the way the request date was 2008 not 2016, the persons father was called Robert Appleby born 1917. Looking at his birth details I find a possible surprising bit of information. Robert's mother's maiden name was Hodgson!
This could just be a coincidence because the earliest member of my family with that middle name that I know of was born in 1864 but I will follow this one up. 

Robert

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 August 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry to say that so far I have been unable to find Edwards wife's surname because I cannot find any details of their marriage. Ann was born in Buckley Wales in 1843/1844. She was only 17/18 when they had their first child in 1861/1862. I will continue looking.

Robert

the child Mary Ann's mother's maiden name was Edwards

Did you read my reply re Edward Hodgson marriage  - the more I look at it the more I think it is the correct marriage - of course another option could be that Edward had given his surname as Hodgson Pyle and only Hodgson had been recorded
Joseph had a Thomas Thompson (son in law) and a Ann Thompson (daughter in law) living with them in the 1881 census. In the 1901 census they had a James Thompson (adopted son) and a Mary A Greenwood (adopted daughter) living with him and his wife Mary Ann.

The thomas Thompson recorded as son in law and Ann Thompson recorded as daughter in law were what we would call stepson and step daughter and would be the children of Mary Ann Thompson and her husband James Thompson and Mary Ann would be a widow when she married Joseph Pyle  _ I am going to do a little bit of research on Mary Ann as I think her mother was a Appleby

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 August 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
I have just found a John Appleby Christrened 20 May 1819 and a George Appleby born 28 June 1824 at gateshead to the same parents, John and Hannah Appleby. These birth dates seem to fit in with the ages found in the 1851 census.

Robert

I am sure John Appleby and George Appleby were the brothers of Ann Appleby who married William Wilkin and had a daughter Mary Ann Wilkin
So John and George Appleby were Uncle to Mary Ann Wilkin
Mary Ann Wilkin married James Thompson
James died and Mary Ann then married Joseph Pyle - so George and John Appleby became Uncle by marriage to Joseph Pyle and were "blood uncles" to Mary Ann
I have bmd's and census to back this up should you require them

Suz

Offline RHP485

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 August 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
I think you have cracked it about the family connection to the surname Appleby. Regarding Edward and Ann marriage etc. I understand what you are suggesting but my information about Edward born 14 July 1839 only shows him as Edward Pyle with no mention of the Hodgson. So I have not found any information on my side about their marriage or Ann's maiden name unless your information about Edward Pyle shows the middle name Hodgson. I will keep looking. Thanks again for all your help it has been very interesting working with someone else to bounce ideas off!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 August 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
You have to keep your eyes peeled for mistranscriptions etc - I still think the Edward hodgson /Ann Edwards marriage is significant - especially as daughter Mary Ann's mother's maden name was Edwards.

Back soon with some other information

Suz