Author Topic: Baptism look up request  (Read 959 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Baptism look up request
« on: Sunday 12 August 18 12:09 BST (UK) »

I want to confirm a baptism Entry for Mary Catherine Moore -not sure which Colchester Church  - date is 30th March 1811-  I want to find out if there is another child, John Cotten Moore  baptised the same day, her twin.

Moderator comment: edited for content
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism look up request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
Can you give a bit more, like Mary’s parents or where she was living in 1841?
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
Mary (no mention of Catherine) born 30 March 1811, baptised 29 September 1811 at St. Peter’s Colchester. Parents george and Sarah Moore.
No John cotton Moore. The lack of the middle name Catherine makes me wonder if this was the right Mary? There are other children with second Christian names on the Parish records.
and

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Did you actually see an image of the entry or was it a transcription.?
That is interesting Mary baptised at St. Peter’s Colchester !Her sister was baptised at St James. Their mother Sarah had been brought up a Baptist.
Mary Catherine Moore is what I have but someone else found it some time ago and I've never seen the record born as you say 1811. I did request the document it was in but have recieved no response.
I have her sister,  my great grandmother, Sarah Georgiana Moore, born 14 Mar 1813 St James Colchester -that is how her name appears on her marriage lines in 1838.
but John their brother eludes. He appears in the 1843 Port Elizabeth SA, Will of their mother Sarah Hornblow Moore Cadle Thomas Gurney as John Cotton Moore. see attached
I occurred to me he might be a twin to Mary with his name  on the same entry of the register as the one for Mary, hence the question about the image of the register.
The suspicion arises out of the fact that I have never find him in any record and also the fact that I found a couple of weeks ago that his grandmother Elizabeth Hornblow nee Young has twin siblings called John and Mary and as you know twins run in families.
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi. It was on the Parish register. If you google SEAX, you’ll find it easily. For a subscription (various time lengths and prices starting from £10) you can look at and save the original images online. Some registers date back to 1500s, some later, some are a bit damaged. No index, so you just have to trawl through. Useful to have a tab open with google maps so you know the names of neighbouring parishes!
and

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Did you actually see an image of the entry or was it a transcription.?
That is interesting Mary baptised at St. Peter’s Colchester !Her sister was baptised at St James. Their mother Sarah had been brought up a Baptist.

St James and St. Peter’s are only a mile apart.
and