Author Topic: Hunting the correct Thomas Ross of Dumfries  (Read 2409 times)

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting the correct Thomas Ross of Dumfries
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Some things I found were Thomas was an Ostler in Dumfries in 1846; Thomas' inn in Dumfries was called the Nithsdale Inn, and when his wife Janet died in 1884 she had the News Inn in Annan; and by the time wife Janet had died their daughter Jessie had married a John Graham and their daughter Mary had married a William Coupland.. Mary's having taken place in 1883 in Annan, which is concerning if your connection to this family was a Mary Ross marrying a Robinson Strong in Whitehaven in 1881.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
Incredible! Thank you so much MonicaL for sorting out the red herring Jane McLauchlan / Jane Ross that misled me from the "Ancestry" transcription. I actually knew about most married women and their maiden names in Scotland, but I'd really not thought of that, because it looked as if they were two different people. Oh, I do feel dumb - I spent ages trying to find a Thomas with a sister Jane in 1841.
I'd got the children you list, Mary is the one I've links to. I'd hunted for a baptism yesterday, for a few hours, with no online luck, perhaps he was not baptised? I suppose it happened, I've found families where it appears the children were "done" as a job lot?
May I ask where, lanercost, you found the names of the Inns? All I had were numbers on Bridge street, and I tried old maps etc, and hunted for appropriate trade directories, to no avail. I'd no record of him being an ostler, did he feature in a local newspaper report for that to have been recorded?
This worries me  too, if Mary apparently married a William Coupland, as "my"Mary was in Whitehaven area by then, as my connection is indeed Mary Ross marrying Robinson Strong in Whitehaven. I was fairly confident when I started trying to check out the tree information on this line that it was correct, certainly there are firm Dumfries connections, from other family members, but this is worrying.
I always try hard to check out whatever I've been told by others in the family, and must now attempt to find out what happened here.
I'd already had to eliminate an entire Thomas Ross family that started in Stockport Cheshire , that gets confused with this one, as I mentioned at the start of my query. It traced them through until mid 20th century, and they are NOT the same.
Please don't go to any more trouble on my account until I've rechecked and probed to see which bits are correct and which are not.
I do apologise to you both, and thank you again,  if I've been guilty of wasting your time. I'm off now to try and see where family records went wrong..... I may be some time....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Janet both have wills on ScotlandsPeople and the names of the inns were both mentioned. The ostler occupation was his occupation on his first child's baptism. Thomas' Mary can't be yours I'm afraid. Her death is in 1928 in Scotland and names husband William Coupland and parents Thomas Ross and Janet McLaughlan. I learnt of William through Janet's will as well as she named Mary the wife of William Coupland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I think I'm back to scrabbling through the written bits I've got, to try and make a fresh - and hopefully more accurate chain. Hmmmm ... that's the second load of "Wrong Rosses" for me. Ah well - thank you all for your kindness and help. I'll post on this again, just for information for you, if I ever solve them. I hate to get things wrong, so thank you for redirecting me.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)