Author Topic: Looking to date photo to prove Nixon Watson gt gt grandparents - Durham, England  (Read 921 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to date photo to prove Nixon Watson gt gt grandparents - Durham, England
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
Just offering a thought here.
This man looks to be reasonably well of and possibly a professional or semi-professional worker.
His hands and nails are well cared for and he wears a fob watch. You can just see the bar through one of his vest's buttonholes.
The wearing of the watch was possibly a sign of status.
I know that when my g grandfather completed his university degree around 1906, the gift from his parents was the fob watch which I still have ;D

Do you know your g. randfather's occupation?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to date photo to prove Nixon Watson gt gt grandparents - Durham, England
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
My guess would be late 40s early 50s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 00:13 BST (UK) »
I keep looking and trying to see them as mid-40s but my immediate impression was around 50, and can't see them any younger.

I thought her hands were a give away. They look quite old.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 00:21 BST (UK) »
Found this pic of some relatives. They would both be in their early 50s.

My grandmother, in my avatar, was about 40.

Note - not to for restoration :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
To me it looks like there could be some faded writing just above the address on the dark strip at the bottom.  But then again it could just be scratches on the card or my tired eyes  ::)

I have tried fiddling about with it (negative image etc.) but I'm not very good at photo enhancement and can't make it any clearer.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
Found this pic of some relatives. They would both be in their early 50s.

My grandmother, in my avatar, was about 40.

Note - not to for restoration :)

I think the couple in your lovely photo look older than the couple in the OP's photo...the lady in the OP's pic has a firm jawline and neither of them appear to have jowls, Just my opinion.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 11:05 BST (UK) »

I think the couple in your lovely photo look older that the OP's photo...the lady in the OP's pic has a firm jawline and neither of them appear to have jowls, Just my opinion.

Carol

So if they were in there mid-40s rather than 50s, it could be OP's 3xgreats in the photo.