Author Topic: Coincidences  (Read 654 times)

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
Coincidences
« on: Monday 13 August 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
I have found two women whose parents have the same names who appear to have been born on the same day who married men of the same name on the same day 80 off miles apart.
Two Sarah Hornblows who both had parents named John & Elizabeth appear to have been born around the same time, married men called George Moore on the same day one in Piccadily Westminster the other in Colchester .
My interest is in Sarah Hornblow  daughter of Rev. John Hornblow and his wife Elizabeth Young. He was born in Essex sent to London as an apprentice. Once he became a master looking glass frame maker he stayed in london for 19 years in Cripplegate area where he became a baptist. In 1775 he married into a baptist family, the Youngs a dissident family of cabinet makers, before becoming ordained as a Particular baptist and being sent back to Essex, Braintree in 1779.
The other family were in Piccadilly Westminster where John Hornblow was a coal dealer who in 1780 married to Elizabeth Archer .
Both couples had daughters they called Sarah born,  it seems in the same year , who subsequently married George Moore. One in St Martins in Field London the other in Colchester in Essex on 17 June 1810.
To add to this when Elizabeth Young Hornblow died  she was living in Kentish town but she was buried in the St James Piccadilly where the Hornblow+ Archers family had their children baptised.

Does anyone else think  that they must have know each other??
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coincidences
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
I'd check that one or the other marriage location was mis-attributed.

BTs vs parish registers perhaps. Did you look at original records or transcriptions?

Even if you look at originals, scan back until you see which parish it refers to,
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
have images of everything ! There were definitely 2 families in central London at around time.
I have  been very careful checking with records and sources etc !
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
I haven't found the one in Colchester yet,but are you sure it wasn't just the banns being read in both their home parishes?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 August 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
I haven't found the one in Colchester yet,but are you sure it wasn't just the banns being read in both their home parishes?

I agree this is a very likely explanation for two apparent marriages of the same couple (i.e. the same bride and groom name) on the same date in two different places.  Some of the online websites FamilySearch etc, do not properly identify the records they are showing you, with banns described as marriages. 

This is also the reason you often see the same couple apparently getting married on two different dates close together, one is the banns record and one is the actual wedding.

Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 August 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Yup you were right. The person who sent me the copy of the register made a mistake with the attribution. I have images of the banns and the marriage entry  and this last , new, one is listed neatly in a book which I think might be a Bishops Transcript.
So my amazing coincidence isn't at least not with the 1810 marriage. There were still 2 girls with parents  with the same name living in central London around the same time.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
Yes but

the hundreds of Mary's I have in my tree that have similar b.d and surnames and turn out to be cousins ..etc

Why did crazy siblings have to name their children the same... fgs... I have so many - that have and are being a real struggle to seperate...

xin   

bit a....d...with looking for Elizabeth Snowden and getting nowhere... aaaargh