Author Topic: Catholic Protestant Marriages in Victorian England  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Protestant Marriages in Victorian England
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
Good luck with your further research.

I was interested to see that your ancestor was originally from Fife, as the ruins of St Andrew's Castle is in this Scottish county.  The castle has a bloody history in the religious causes of Catholicism -v- Prestbyterian/Luther Religion.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/St-Andrews/

Just for my own curiosity I tried to find an article about the pub which still has a tilting table dating from the 16th century that was used for secret religious meetings.. I recall it was in the Legal Quarter of London, but I couldn't find an article.  Instead I found the rather gory Catholic history of this (allegedly haunted) London Tavern.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/the-ship-tavern-3997665

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Protestant Marriages in Victorian England
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
My 2nd Great Grandfather, left Essex/Suffolk in the 1850's and moved to Ireland.
There he married again, at St Ann's Church in Dublin (Protestant, I believe).
2 sons were later baptised as Catholic in Kilkenny, although at least 1 more son and a daughter were born.

His father, who died in 1861, disinherited him. Probably because there were Church of England ministers in the family at the time?!

GGGrandfather died in 1868, in Tallaght - I have very few details of his surviving, Irish, family.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)