Author Topic: Help from Australia!!! (Very Specific William Wardrop)  (Read 3802 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help from Australia!!! (Very Specific William Wardrop)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
From Forfarian's details for William Snr in the 1841 census, he looks to have been staying with eldest son Walter.

Some details from someone connected to Walter's line, just for background as to what happened to him, here www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/surnames.wardrop/124.2/mb.ashx

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 August 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
Anthony, do you have access/subscription to Ancestry? There are a number of well researched and documented family trees for your Joseph showing there such as www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/8612367/person/-921939761/facts?ssrc=

Three generations of Wardrops have passed on without one story of how we made it to Australia and where in Scotland we are from.

He looks to have arrived in NSW on 8 July 1858 at the age of 22 on the 'Queen of England'. He gave his father's details on the shipping manifest and showing as born in the High Church area of Glasgow.

He gave his sister Isabella (born c. 1832) as contact/sponsor in NSW. Isabella looks to have been married by 1858, showing under surname of Simmons.

Monica

Added: A sad ending for him wasn't it  :-\

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 August 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
Children of Walter Wardrop and Margaret Aitken included Walter 1783, Margaret 1784, Walter 1787, William 1790, Janet 1792, John 1794, Isobel 1800, Ann 1802, James 1804, Ann 1806 and Alexander Cunningham 1810.

So William's sister Ann cannot be the one who married James Malcolm.

Anne Wardrope, other surname Orr, mother's surname Aitken, died in Neilston in 1855 aged 49. Ann Wardrop married John Orr in Neilston in 1832.

There is also a Jane Sharp, other name Wardrop, mother Aitken, who died in 1859 aged 66. She could perhaps be Janet? 

Alexander Cunningham Wardrop died in 1868.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 August 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
This listing here www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/surnames.wardrop/137/mb.ashx fits well with what you have confirmed, Forfarian.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 August 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
A few images of the C Tennant's Chemical Works at St Rollox here:

www.rootschat.com/links/01mi9/
www.penicuikpapermaking.org/morerm.html
www.flickr.com/photos/beavis64/7142601711

The building's chimneys are very distinctive aren't they. Over the years, they had to take them down due to safety concerns. The flickr shot from the 1940s shows just one left it seems. See www.heraldscotland.com/news/15229402.An_explosive_end_to_a_Glasgow_landmark/

On the history of the business itself, Charles Tennant & Co., lots online for background.

Monica

Offline Anthony Wardrop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, Yes I do Have a subscription. What I have been finding is that so many people have been modifying the information to make that person fit in with their family (so much isn't accurate), as well as the time when I guess every one wasn't perfect readers and writers and everything was  recorded on paper. I was reading that many people of the day changed surnames or spelling of or lied about age or dates for what ever reason to survive or for certain circumstances. Where as today if you try and hide or change some thing, It too hard as Google and Facebook are there to catch you out. So when I first signed up I had clicked 8 generation s of family history , sat back and was chuffed with myself that I had solved the Wardrop mystery in 30 minutes, fast forward 31 minutes and nothing was linning up not only was my great great great grandfather still alive but he also had 65 children lived in the US was a Factory Laborour and a Ships Captain at the same time etc...... So now Im slowly going back and piecing it together correctly.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 08:45 BST (UK) »
I had clicked 8 generation s of family history , sat back and was chuffed with myself that I had solved the Wardrop mystery in 30 minutes, fast forward 31 minutes and nothing was linning up not only was my great great great grandfather still alive but he also had 65 children lived in the US was a Factory Laborour and a Ships Captain at the same time etc...... So now Im slowly going back and piecing it together correctly.
Brilliant  :) :) :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Anthony Wardrop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has helped me. I had spent a few weeks on Ancestry and was starting to give up but your fresh ideas have helped me re energise.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
oops, I probably ought to add that 20 August to 10 Sept 1872 ... too short for a letter to have arrived via post as the mail came by steam ships.
According to the death certificate William Wardrop actually died on 20 June, not 20 August.

I'm afraid I don't know how long it would have taken a ship to get from Britain to Australia in 1872.