Author Topic: Help from Australia!!! (Very Specific William Wardrop)  (Read 3814 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Help from Australia!!! (Very Specific William Wardrop)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 August 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
oops, I probably ought to add that 20 August to 10 Sept 1872 ... too short for a letter to have arrived via post as the mail came by steam ships. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Anthony Wardrop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 August 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
I think the one of the marks is half sister so that might explain double up

Offline Anthony Wardrop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 August 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry "Mary" half sister

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 August 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
If William was married twice his death certificate ought to tell you the names of both of his wives.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 August 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
scotlandspeople also has the Inventory of what must be William Wardrop's estate :

Wardrop William  22/11/1872 residing in Dunoon , son of David Wardrop , Merchant in Glasgow
Edinburgh Sheriff Court Inventories.

Available for £2.50 I believe ?

Now known to be incorrect  :)
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 August 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Unusual to see a reference to William's father's name in a document of this type and given his age at death.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anthony Wardrop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 August 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
I found him on Scotspeople.uk bought a few credits can't understand the writing tried to post it here attachment 232kb but it says i have gone over limit.1872 it looks like june 22nd  has the right address 22 Melville street Glasgow and correct occupation as Chemist and parents Walter and Margaret.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
Unusual to see a reference to William's father's name in a document of this type and given his age at death.
Indeed. Also odd that someone residing in Dunoon and whose father was in Glasgow should have their inventory recorded in Edinburgh Sheriff Court.

Also the father's name is at variance with the death certificate which says he was Walter, not David.

I wonder if this is another William Wardrop, a young unmarried man, who died outside Scotland?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
Anthony has sent me the death certificate. William was indeed married twice, but the informant did not know the name of the other wife, only Mary Hamilton. Father Walter Wardrop, mother Margaret Aitken. Informant Mary Malcolm, niece-in-law, signed with an 'x'.

Now going into the realms of speculation.

If Mary was Walter's niece-in-law, then Mary's husband must have been Walter's nephew. So his mother must have been a Wardrop.

There is a family born to James Malcolm and Ann Wardrop: Janet, 1811; Ann 1815; Alexander, 1820; Christian, 1824; Jean, 1826; Margaret, 1828.