Author Topic: Gillman (or Gilman) Kitchner 1755 Buckinghamshire -1840 London  (Read 559 times)

Offline MazzyStar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gillman (or Gilman) Kitchner 1755 Buckinghamshire -1840 London
« on: Monday 13 August 18 18:05 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone had any idea where i can access any information On Gillman/ Gilman Kitchner. On ancestry I have found records within the "London, England, Freedom of the City Admission Papers, 1681-1930 Court, Land, Wills & Financial" However, not being a premium member I cannot access it. Anyone know any alternative sites I can find this information! I'm very curious as to see what it was and his occupation etc was as I cannot find it.  ???

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Gillman (or Gilman) Kitchner 1755 Buckinghamshire -1840 London
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Your local library probably has Ancestry library edition where you would be able to view and take copies of documents
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
It's something to do with his son being admitted to the freedom of the Company of Dyers on 2 April 1817. 

James Bowes Kitchner being the son.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
To expand on what Millipede has posted.

On 2 April 1817, James Bowes Kitchner son of Gillman Kitchner late of Tenter Ground Moorfield  Turner and Citizen and Dyer of London was admitted to the Freedom of the worshipful Company of Dyers by Patrimony.

Note that GK was also a Citizen and Dyer of London.  He had to be for his son to be admitted by Patrimony.

Another related image (of three) includes this information.

Copy 1784
Born 1791

The first is the year of the admission of GK to the Freedom of the City.
The second is the year of JBK's birth.  Under the rules of Patrimony he has to be born after his dad was admitted.

There are further documents in this collection:  UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811

They record that GK was (at the time of taking one apprentice around 1784):  of Bishopgate Co Middlesex Turner

ie not yet free of the City.

At the time of taking another apprentice around 1786, he was:  Citizen and Dyer of London

This is consistent with the date above.

Because GK was free of the City, there should be documentation of his admission in the records of the Dyers' Company.  (Probably at LMA - don't have time to check.)

Technically, it should also be in the Freedoms collection on Ancestry.  A very quick search hasn't revealed it.  The indexing of that collection is famously ropey, and some documents are irretrievably dirty and damaged.

I do recommend you find a way to collect these records if you can. Finding an ancestor was a Freeman of the City is most helpful to research.

ADDED:

It was quite possible for a Turner to be a member of the Dyers' Company in the latter half of the C18th.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
In case you don't have his burial....
Gillman Kitchner, aged 85, buried 8 Nov 1840 in Bunhill Fields, from Dyers Alms Houses City Road.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.