Author Topic: Thomas Whitehead, Chester  (Read 1449 times)

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Whitehead, Chester
« on: Monday 13 August 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am trying to go back further on the Whitehead family. I have managed to trace the family back to Thomas Whitehead who married Margery. I think their marriage was in 1720 in Market Drayton, Shropshire and her maiden name was Cooper. They had 3 children in Hawarden, Flintshire - Elizabeth, Peter and Margaret. He was a stone mason and so was his son Peter. I am trying to find a baptism for Thomas. I can't find any in Wales but have found a few potentials in Chester but I don't know how to figure out which one is the right one.
Any help would be much appreciated
Vicky

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Whitehead, Chester
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
As he only appears to have had one son named Peter - have you found any Thomas Whiteheads baptised with a father named Peter by chance?

Often the first born son was named after the father's father (but not always!).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
Good idea thanks but no I haven't. The father's are mostly Thomas, Martin or William. No Peters. Doesn't help that they are such common names.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Oh shucks! Bang goes that theory then.

Do you have an age at death please - just to give a better idea of his birth year, which may eliminate some of the Whiteheads you found?
Places of interest;

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
I found a burial for Thomas Whitehead in 1790 in Hawarden on family search which could be him but doesn't say an age. There is also another burial for a Thomas Whitehead in 1740 in Flint but again no age.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
Vicky -- if he married in 1720 he must have been born around 1685 - 1702 at an estimate. In those days it would be unusual for someone to be about 90 years old when they died, although not impossible of course. I would doubt he was the one who died in 1790.

Unfortunately the Parish Registers at that early time provide very little information - if an occupation was included for a father at a baptism, maybe that would give a clue to who his father was -- ie - if he followed in that trade. You don't even have that information in the parish registers available to you.

You don't necessarily know where he was born - I suspect you may have to place him on the 'back burner' to see if any further evidence comes to light. As a Stone Mason -- he may have served an apprenticeship -- there MAY be apprenticeship records in the local archives - might be worth checking that out.

I am so sorry that I have not been able to help you -- but maybe someone else may pick upthis query - and come up with a solution for you. I do hope so.
Places of interest;

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hello GingerVicky,

Do you have the years of birth of the children, Elizabeth, Peter and Margaret please?

Pennines is right about there being some apprenticeship records for them as Stone Masons. The Cheshire Archives holds some indentures but these were not very organised when I last visited there.

Jo

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 August 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help Pennines. I agree that him living to 90 does seem unlikely in those days.
Jo the baptism dates for his children were:
Elizabeth 1726 who died in 1728
Peter 1729
Margaret 1734

I don't think there were any other children unless I have missed them.
They were all baptized in the Hawarden area.
Thank you

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
It is possible that Thomas Whitehead, senior, was baptised in Shropshire, Flintshire, or Chester. There is nothing online for him in Flintshire however. As you say, there are some baptisms in Chester for Thomas Whitehead around the right time.

Of the 3 possible baptisms I could find for him in Chester, my view is the most likely would seem to be the one baptised on 21 May 1690, son of Thomas Whitehead.

I think you need to search the parish registers for Hawarden to see what you can find there. Having married in 1720, you would expect them to have had children before 1726. Could they have had children baptised elsewhere if they married in Market Drayton?

Jo