Author Topic: Serjeant Arthur George Pope and Vinzent Bombera  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Cawbom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Serjeant Arthur George Pope and Vinzent Bombera
« on: Monday 13 August 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of doing my family tree with the hopes of finding more information about my great grandfathers.

Few questions to ask with some possible pointers if you would all be so kind...

It's highly fascinating for me as Arthur George Pope 8200 fought and died in WW1 for the British army and my other great grandfather fought and was wounded in WW1 for the German army. I have relatives on both sides of the war which I would love to know more about.

1) military information for both? Best places to look? I have found snippets on AG Pope but have nothing for Vinzent (Vincent Bombera) where could I find things about him? Not being fluent in German does not help..

2) how do I find out more about Bombera’s in Germany? It's a very rare name with no clear origin. Vinzent was born in Nakel? Which I think is now Poland but was Prussia? My grandad Bruno was born in Berlin and said his grandmother had a pub there? But have no idea of a name or maiden name or anything... of real interest to me would be my grandads siblings. He was one of 5 but didn't let a lot of information go to us. His oldest sibling may have died after being hit by a tram? His brother moved to poland, His sister stayed in Germany and his youngest sister (had a funny face which we believe to be down syndrome) and was reported to have died from pneumonia... a victim of experimentation perhaps?? So many questions regarding that side so any German expertise would be amazing even if it was just to put names to them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cory

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Serjeant Arthur George Pope and Vinzent Bombera
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
he perhaps appears on a certain site
as Vinzent Bombera
German world war 1 casualty list
21/08/1917
some kind of letters and Ratel Bromberg
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:54 BST (UK) »
was he still there in 1940
the only one listed in Berlin is
Vincent Monteur Bombera
occupation Monteur think thats mechanic
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Cawbom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 07:27 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware he would of been in Berlin yes. Do you know if it says how he was wounded? Or where or is ratel Bromberg a location?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Cawborn - make another post so that I can send you a Personal Message - I have found a familytree with 2 Bombera members and the tree owner is German - BUT - he only speaks German
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
a Google result for Bromberg it  is a city otherwise known as Bydgoszcz in the province of Posen up untill 1918

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
a Google result for Bromberg it  is a city otherwise known as Bydgoszcz in the province of Posen up untill 1918
is that Germany / Poland or Ukraine now ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Poland