Author Topic: A.com.UK Hints?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
A.com.UK Hints?
« on: Monday 13 August 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
 ??? Anyone know how to 'encourage' them, please?

I know that, if I accept fresh information that X (already on my tree) married Y (Previously unknown to me) I'll then get a flood of Hints pertaining to 'Y'. Their parents. All manner of stuff.

But, what when Hints on 'X' dry up, yet, I still haven't found his death, eg.

Is there any, known, trick to get A.com to throw up some more Hints on X?

Thanks.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: A.com.UK Hints?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
You have tried pressing the search button, haven't you? (I always go for the obvious first)

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Presumably "A.com.UK" refers to Ancestry.co.uk? ;D

You can spell it out, you know!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Presumably "A.com.UK" refers to Ancestry.co.uk? ;D

You can spell it out, you know!

Ah thanks for explaining that KG, I re-read the title a few times and it still didn't make sense!

Especially as here in the UK we would use the Co.uk website.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
Deleted :(
xin

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
Cheers, all.

Yeah; I generally just call it " The Pit ". Never mind ..... 

Search. Research. Blow a birds egg? Yep. Been there. Done that. Actually been at this game for a bit now. I'm not exactly a noob  ;)

Just got a brick wall or two that some of the greatest minds on Roots have admitted are full blown, absolute Nightmares.

We've all searched till we were blue in the face. God knows what's gone wrong. So, I'm now casting round for Anything that might lead to a lead.

Hints? The clue is in the name. No?  :)

Now: If Anybody may have any clue how to 'force' their system to kick back to the names I'm interested in ....?

Thanks.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
Some thoughts

:) Sometimes the more intense your search then the less intense the results.   Sometimes it is best to pause and let the grey cells absorb the current findings, and wait for those grey cells to find the chink in the brickwall. 

:) If A.com.UK refers to Ancestry.co.uk,  have you considered checking out where they obtained their information/images as that in turn was transcribed to become their databases.  So I am suggesting you may consider actually seeking access to the original records, and make your own interpretation of the actual record.

:) Brickwalls are never ever nightmares  :D but sometimes they want to stay mortared tightly and in strict waiting mode for the next generation of family history buffs to have something to tackle -

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 01:32 BST (UK) »
JM, Some thoughts of my own;

:) " The grey cells have grey hair. Some of this stuff's gonna turn it white. And, if no chinks have revealed themselves in Years? The last few synapses are crying out that nothing's off bounds now. It's a survival thing.

:) " I don't refer to that outfit as " The Pit " for nothing. I'm all too aware of how they harvest our work, to sell on to others.  I used to Really Enjoy accessing the original (transcribed) material and making my own way.

I'm actually very good at painstakingly finger tip searching through pages and pages of basic record lists. Back when FindMyPast was called something else and they really just presented the BMD listings, I loved combing through those.

The Pit too, I remember, showed us lovely, long ~ but well ordered and easily finger tip searchable ~ lists. Now? I can't even get a straight answer to " Deaths ". (Never mind. I trawled through Free BMD)

:) ". Yes. Brick walls can be nightmares. Especially when ye the last of ye line. Doing this purely out of personal interest. Knowing that the £1,000's worth of BMD Certs ye have in ye filing cabinet will just go on a fire, when ye go yeself. And that won't be long away.

So, yeah; I'll die a happier man, having cracked a couple of the last great mysteries of my life.

A reply, from anyone, actually addressing my original question, would be great  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 02:09 BST (UK) »
A reply, from anyone, actually addressing my original question, would be great  :)

You could ask Ancestry directly. 

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/phonesupport

JM

PS you could donate those BDM certs to local family history groups, or even consider RootsChat  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/unwanted-certificates/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.