Author Topic: A.com.UK Hints?  (Read 1703 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: A.com.UK Hints?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 07:06 BST (UK) »

PS you could donate those BDM certs to local family history groups, or even consider RootsChat  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/unwanted-certificates/

JM

Or add the details to freebmd as a postem
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
Try using sources other than Ancestry?

FindMyPast
The Genealogist
FamilySearch
FreeBMD
FreeREG . . . just to name a few! ;D

Try paying a visit to Archives and Record Offices, rather than relying on online "hints"?
(Many of us started before there was an online!)

Check what "hints" you may have ignored or rejected in the past?

P.S. I am not aware of ANY websites that use ".com.uk"? ???
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Cheers, all. While I'd gladly stroll down to the local FHS and drop off my files ~ the paper records are of no further use to me, having copied all the data ~ that may prove a bit tricky. See; 'All' my stuff relates to the south of england. I'm now in Eire.

Regards trying else where? Believe it or not, I've actually tried other than the pit  :o

I know all the usual ~ and some less usual ~ places, thanks. Trawled them. Tried all the usual tricks. Still left with a couple of complete mysteries.

Consulted with some of the best 'Finders' on here. Conferring with a Mod' as it is. Waiting for one more cert' to, maybe, give us another clue. Meanwhile, it occurred to me that the Pit must use some sort of search bot. I wondered if I could rope that in.

Anyway, I'm sure, if anyone knew, they'd have simply answered my question by now. And, I'm sure ye must have cats to feed.

Case closed. I have to get on. Thanks.

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
When ancestry scans a record, some poor soul then "indexes" it. This means identifying a word or words or date that is subsequently searchable by a software search engine. So, if you type into the search form "Smith" and also "Swindon" and "1927", it will search the billions of records it holds for those that have those words and numbers indexed. If you then tick the exact box for "Date", it removes anything that isn't 1927.

It doesn't use "bots" to trawl  around other web sites copying their stuff as Google does.

".com.uk" is a well-used domain name -  a lot of "free blog" sites use it.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Well

I know I lost it earlier and didn't mean to... but your post was such that it seemed to fly in the eye of most hard research..

that aside now you have explained and it seems a reasonable, last ditch effort to acquire the info you are looking for.

WHAT I must say is

Sarcasm.. dont go down well with me.. 

and I could respond to this sentence from or by my 'other' persona -- but I wont .

'Anyway, I'm sure, if anyone knew, they'd have simply answered my question by now. And, I'm sure ye must have cats to feed.'

You know if you had -- taken during this post just a moment to explain to us a little more or refered to previous searches --- then who knows you could be smiling now.. and off on your 'merry charger'

Sorry Steve

xin

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
".com.uk" is a well-used domain name -  a lot of "free blog" sites use it.

You may be thinking of ".uk.com".

Nominet, who administer the .uk top-level domain, control what is available at the second level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominet_UK

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrew,

I stand corrected.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
We've all searched till we were blue in the face. God knows what's gone wrong. So, I'm now casting round for Anything that might lead to a lead.

Hints? The clue is in the name. No?  :)

Now: If Anybody may have any clue how to 'force' their system to kick back to the names I'm interested in ....?

Hints are no more than Ancestry doing its own (basic...) searches using information already in the tree you're building.

It's the same mechanism that goes off when you find a record, and "other" records appear on the right.

(Therefore) there is literally nothing a hint will/can find that can't be found by searching.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Cheers, all. While I'd gladly stroll down to the local FHS and drop off my files ~ the paper records are of no further use to me, having copied all the data ~ that may prove a bit tricky. See; 'All' my stuff relates to the south of england. I'm now in Eire.
Having scanned all my original BMD certificates, copy wills, etc the whole lot were very gladly accepted by the Society of Genealogists http://www.sog.org.uk/

rgds

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk