Author Topic: International Left Handers Day!  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
International Left Handers Day!
« on: Monday 13 August 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
I always appreciated this day that is dedicated to those of us who are Left Handers  8) Our son is the only right Hander in our family of four, but he is left footed. We have five Grandchildren and only one of them is left handed. My Grandfather and two Uncles were also left handed. Cack Handed and Golly Handed were the terms used for Left Handers in the North East and I wondered if anyone has an alternative names for other areas.
 So to all fellow Lefties, I hope you have had a nice day  ;)

I know that Gadget is a Left Hander but wondered how many more of us there are on here.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: International Left Handers Day!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, and I hope you, too, had a good "Coddy-handed" Day! 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Oh I like that one BB  ;D I've never heard that one before!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Not sure where it came from, but I'm one!  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
    No left handers in my family, but I noticed when I was at grammar school many years ago that we had 7 left handers in the class, nearly 25%. This was the A stream (she said modestly) so it must be a sign of intelligence. ;D

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
All four of my grandparents were  born in 19th century in New South Wales and made to write with pen in right hand but all other tasks ... they did as South Paws ... including cutlery set at dinner table ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
    No left handers in my family, but I noticed when I was at grammar school many years ago that we had 7 left handers in the class, nearly 25%. This was the A stream (she said modestly) so it must be a sign of intelligence. ;D

I Was always lead to believe that  Left Handers were creative and artistic and that rings true for myself and my Daughter....intelligent  ::)...not sure about that  ;D
Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 00:08 BST (UK) »

I Was always lead to believe that  Left Handers were creative and artistic and that rings true for myself and my Daughter....intelligent  ::)...not sure about that  ;D
Carol

I've got 4 degrees* if that counts (she says modestly)  ;D ;D ;D

* one's in Art
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 00:34 BST (UK) »
Both my parents were 'Molly dukes'.  I am right sided, but anything I learnt by copying them I did left-handed.  Took mum a while to work out why I looked clumsy when ironing.  Try other hand she said.  Now I can use both hands in most activities, just swap when arm becomes tired.  I am sure most natural left handers are the same.
They were born in Victoria and South Australia in the 1910's and 1920' and made to write with their right hand too majm.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531