Author Topic: International Left Handers Day!  (Read 4897 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: International Left Handers Day!
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Interesting Victoria...when I was in the Infants School and stayed school dinners for a time, the teacher sat at the head of the table. Noticing that I was left handed, she sat me next to her and insisted that I "Use my knife and fork in the correct manner" despite me explaining that I was left handed. When I told my Mum about this, she turned up in the dining room one lunch time and approached said teacher and swapped her cutlery round telling her to "Try it this way" to which she replied that "It was foreign to her and she couldn't possibly use her cutlery that way" My Mum told her that was how it felt for me. I was never bothered by her again.
Carol
Well done your Mum!
People offer toys and food to babies and young children via their right hand,
but it is best to let the baby decide, certainly for a time they seem to be left handed but will make their choice as they get a bit older.
It must be very confusing for young children.
During  one course I was on it was said to make a child change hands was somewhat similar to us trying to do something in a mirror,it
is all back to front and very confusing.
It is a right handed world mostly but left handed manage perfectly well,better than being forced to use their non dominant hand.
People thought they were doing it for the best but bed wetting, stammering and nail biting were frequent problems.
I do feel more comfy in certain circumstances using my left hand,usually only gross motor tasks.
             Viktoria.

Offline BrazilianBombshell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
You can count me too! One of eight siblings, two of which are left handers.
Davies - Brazil
Pooley - London
Preston- Lincoln
Martyn - Lincoln
Cannon - Lincoln
Griffin - Dorset
Poore - Dorset
Dickinson - Leicester & Dorset

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
I am left handed and so is my youngest sister, two out of six. My father tried to make me right handed when I was little because he was Dutch, but my mother was fine, although all her English family were right-handed. Dad's older brother and sister were both left-handed and forced to be right-handed. This was fine for the brother who wrote beautifully, painted etc but was bad for the sister. She always wrote to us in capitals because she said her writing was so awful.
I went to a Catholic school but the nuns never tried to change me, although a friend of the same age at another school was forced to be right-handed.
I can write right-handed, more slowly but rather more neatly! My friend broke her wrist aged 80 and I said "Just write with your other hand" and she looked at me as though I came from Mars. I think it's an advantage to be left-handed, though I found learning to read an analogue clock very hard as a child. It went round the wrong way.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Another proud left-handed here!

Nice to be in such good company!
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 00:26 BST (UK) »
I'm just curious. 

Who else can read and write upside down words in "proper" handwriting, also read and do mirror writing with both hands?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 04:55 BST (UK) »
I have never tried mirror writing, but I used to impress my friends at school with being able to read upside down.. It still comes in useful sometimes these days.D
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 06:05 BST (UK) »
"Just write with your other hand"

I am severely right-handed [and not artistic] however I once had to use my left hand to produce a drawing of my right hand holding an archaeological tool to show how the thing was used.  I found that it was possible with extreme concentration.  Normally, though, I can't bring that kind of concentration to bear so I am unable to even brush my teeth with the left hand.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
I've always found reading upside down very easy - and also reading type set before printing, a great advantage in my College days, as it meant I made fewer errors typesetting manually!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:16 BST (UK) »

Another leftie here!     

Can write right to left / mirror, but not with right-hand.     
[ Possibly due to not having a full hand of fingers  :) ]     

Use a mouse with right, and transcribe with left is very useful, as prev mentioned.     

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).