Author Topic: International Left Handers Day!  (Read 4896 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: International Left Handers Day!
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 18 August 18 00:52 BST (UK) »
One of the great problems in life were lefties in the Army. Bolt action rifles. Not many of those left now. Second great problem was Sergeants looking at the efforts of the lefties with pained expression on the Sergeants face.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 18 August 18 01:03 BST (UK) »

I'm also caggy handed - In the 1950s my needlework teacher insisted that when I turned up a hem by hand, I had to turn the work upside down, so that the stitches looked the same as the rest of the girls in the class (they were all right-handed).

Winslass

That reminds me - also from the 1950s - even though my primary school teachers didn't make me use my right hand, they did force me to turn my writing book on my desk to the same angle as the rest of the class. So that when the teacher looked down the rows everything was in perfect symmetry. As a result my writing was very oddly slanted/crabbed on the page and was never corrected until I was in much higher grades. Needless to say I used to get very low marks for penmanship  ::)

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 18 August 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
The term I remember being used was - "Cack handed". Doesn't sound very nice, does it? It surprises me how capable most of us are with either hand.... like Greensleeves, I found out the hard way, after a wrist injury, that I could take notes, write draw and paint with left as well as right. Very useful.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline polly50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 18 August 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
I am left handed as are several of my family. I do loathe the expression cack handed and find it very offensive. Another out dated expression I can't bear is hare lip when referring to someone with a cleft lip.

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 18 August 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
In the midlands we are called "Caggie handed."  ;D

Although we lefties can struggle with many implements designed for a right-handed world, I  always think what an advantage we have when it comes to driving. As someone who can do practically nothing with her right hand I am really glad we use our left hands for gear changing.  ;D
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"