Author Topic: International Left Handers Day!  (Read 4900 times)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: International Left Handers Day!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:42 BST (UK) »
I'm a proud one too!

No-one forced me to use my right hand for anything, thank goodness, but I wish my parents had made me use a knife and fork the right way around.

One thing I am very thankful for is that our head teacher made sure left-handers weren't given left-handed nibs for fountain pens.  Excellent advice, as a nib is straight to begin with and is 'moulded' by the writer.  (You need a left-hand nib only if it's italic).

Luckily my mum taught me to knit right-handed, but I sew with my left hand.

For some reason, I hold a golf club or cricket bat the right-handed way.

Some things seem better for a left-hander, e.g. gear stick in a right-hand drive car; manual sewing machines. You are using your dominant hand to do the more difficult task.

Incidentally, I always think left-handers look awkward even though I am one, because we are all used to watching the majority doing things right-handed.

Melbell

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
My 6 year old granddaughter was fascinated watching me knitting & kept asking me (right-handed) to teach her (left-hander).

So I practised knitting left-handed so she could sit next to me & copy  :) . Needless to say she knits left-handed a lot quicker than me now  ;D
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
A bit late to the party, but another leftie here (mostly).

My experience is similar to what others have said - if it's a one-handed or one-footed thing like writing, throwing or kicking etc, I'll do it with the left hand (or foot); if it's two-handed, like using a cricket bat, I'll do it right-handed. (Though some of the two-handed things I can do reasonably well the other way too.)

I've sometimes found myself at a bit of an advantage on the computer, as I use a standard RH mouse. This means I can mouse away with my right hand and jot things down with my left, all at the same time, whereas the inferior majority have to keep switching from one to the other.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
When I was younger, I found it useful when playing table tennis as the opponent often got caught out and I would win, it was the same when playing rounders  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Some things seem better for a left-hander, e.g. gear stick in a right-hand drive car; manual sewing machines. You are using your dominant hand to do the more difficult task.
The tasks involved in driving ought to be shared out between the two sides. Unfortunately since the mid 1970s, many cars keep things organised for left-hand-drive even when the steering wheel is on the right. So operating indicators and gears, often needed pretty much simultaneously, are both on the left on a RHD car.
My vintage car has everything on the right. The first owner paid £10 extra to have the gear lever on the right rather than cluttering up the centre. It takes quite a bit of effort to operate the controls in a safe way, so it's quite a good thing that "sedate" is the appropriate driving style.
I passed my test in the days when hand signals were still a requirement. I've forgotten how I was taught to deal with things!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
Generally speaking people are one side dominant,so right handed, right eye
dominant and  right foot too.
However some are cross lateral,might be right handed but kick with left foot.
And vice versa.
My O.H seemed to be left handed when he started school aged four ,
The teacher punished him and forced him to use his right hand and consequently he developed a severe stammer.
His Mum went into school and “dealt with “ the teacher.

He ended up left handed but right foot was dominant and he played oodles of amateur football, playing when he was in the army doing National Service.
However I think he would have been better left alone as he was so awkward with things like DIY,mixing stuff,stirring,it was obvious he would have been right handed when he matured a little and used his by then preferred hand.
Both the teacher and his Mum were  wrong, children,especially as young as four  have often not found their preference and left alone will do.
His Mum did not punish him of course but she thought ,as most people would he should use his left hand if he wanted. He said he almost felt obliged to use it as she had “dealt with” the teacher in no uncertain terms.
His handwriting ,left handed ,was beautiful,he was an accountant and in those days all ledgers etc were in copperplate.He ruined  good fountain pens by the score  and kept the pen hospital very busy.

My eldest son is cack handed and my granddaughter too ,but she iis not my
eldest son’s child, she is my daughter’s.
                 Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
My father was left handed, he automatically also swapped his cutlery round when he sat down for a meal at a restaurant.
I thought I was right handed until I damaged my right wrist, and couldn't use it for a few weeks in my teens... then I discovered that not only could I write with my left, but also draw, and paint, and when pushed for time, I've been known to paint with both hands at the same time, on large scale work! I use either hand at need, often swapping from one to the other during a task.
There's just one drawback: I always get "left" and "right" mixed up - did my driving test on "Your side" and "My side", once the examiner realised ... and somehow still passed first time!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
Interesting Victoria...when I was in the Infants School and stayed school dinners for a time, the teacher sat at the head of the table. Noticing that I was left handed, she sat me next to her and insisted that I "Use my knife and fork in the correct manner" despite me explaining that I was left handed. When I told my Mum about this, she turned up in the dining room one lunch time and approached said teacher and swapped her cutlery round telling her to "Try it this way" to which she replied that "It was foreign to her and she couldn't possibly use her cutlery that way" My Mum told her that was how it felt for me. I was never bothered by her again.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 20:11 BST (UK) »

Quote - "I've sometimes found myself at a bit of an advantage on the computer, as I use a standard RH mouse. This means I can mouse away with my right hand and jot things down with my left, all at the same time, whereas the inferior majority have to keep switching from one to the other."

Yes, this is a distinct advantage.  I used to wonder how people coped the 'right' way around.  I had my office phone on the left and the computer mouse on the right; that was good too.

Melbell