Author Topic: Victoria Police Gazette look-up request: James BOYLE, aka James B. BURKE  (Read 899 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
Victoria Police Gazette look-up request: James BOYLE, aka James B. BURKE
« on: Tuesday 14 August 18 03:35 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone with access to Victoria Police Gazettes could look up four records for me:

James B. BURKE, 1890
James BURKE, 1911
James BOYLE, 1913
James BOYLE, 1914

These may relate to James Kerr BOYLE, born 1872, Salford, England.  His life of crime was mainly in NZ, but he died of TB in Kyneton in 1914 or 1915.  While in NZ he sometimes used the alias James Burton BURKE.

Although he arrived in NZ in 1893, I cannot find him in the 1891 UK census, so I wonder if the 1890 James B. BURKE record is an early example of him adopting this alias?

Thanks for any help
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Police Gazette look-up request: James BOYLE, aka James B. BURKE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,
  The 1890 reference is to articles stolen from James B BURKE.
   These were stolen from the bedroom of James B Burke in the Great Britain hotel, Flinders St, Melbourne, a gold open-face geneva watch,  a silver chain ... .  Attached to the chain were 2 gold lockets and 2 gold wedding rings ... value 8 pounds.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 04:15 BST (UK) »
The 1911 reference is for a James Burke who is said to be a native of Victoria, born 1871 for using a horse without consent of owner.  First conviction.  Description given.

Ros
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 04:21 BST (UK) »
The 1913 reference is for a James BOYLE who deserted from the Persic.  He is age 32 and from Liverpool.

Ros

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 04:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, rosball.  None of those seem to be relevant to my fellow ... and the 1914 reference is the least likely, I think, because he was already hospitalized for TB at some point in 1914.

Having served three more or less consecutive gaol terms in NZ from 1902 to about 1907 (basically re-offending almost immediately upon release), I am trying to track down when he might have moved over to Australia.  I'm guessing that, as an habitual offender, he would not suddenly go straight!

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 04:40 BST (UK) »
Yes Tim, the 1914 reference is for a List of Collectors' Licences issued at Carlton.

Ros

I'll check trove for you to see if there are any mentions

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 04:51 BST (UK) »
Where did you find his death Tim?

From a quick search of Victoria BDM https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj (free to search)
I can see a death of a James Joseph BOYLE in 1915 at Beechworth but he was 76.

Ros

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 04:55 BST (UK) »
His life of crime was mainly in NZ, but he died of TB in Kyneton in 1914 or 1915.  While in NZ he sometimes used the alias James Burton BURKE.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article129617653
Kyneton Guardian  7 Apr 1914

KYNETON COUNCIL NOTES.
Pulmonary Tuberculosis.-Dr. J. Horace Downing reported to the council on Saturday that James Kerr Boyle, aged 40, of no fixed abode, and at present an inmate of the Kyneton Hospital; Ette Aitken, aged 30, of High street, Kyneton, and Catherine McMahon, 39, of Lancefield, were suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis.-The report was received.

I cannot see a death registration for a James BOYLE or BURKE in 1914 or 1915 in Victoria. There is a death reg for a James Joseph BOYLE in 1915 however he was 76 years of age.   Do you have his death registration number?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 05:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks rosball and cando,

Yes, that Kyneton Guardian reference is the only evidence I have that he was in Australia. 

Back in NZ, when his son enlisted in June 1917, he referred to his father on his enlistment papers as James Kerr Boyle (dec.), so I'm sure he was dead by then.  But I have no death registration number. 

Who knows ... he might have been discharged from Kyneton Hospital and moved on to goodness knows where!

Cheers
Tim