Author Topic: WDYTYA - Robert Rinder  (Read 6376 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - Robert Rinder
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
I cannot get enough of these at the moment..

Would love to see the Australian or Canadian or any?!?!  versions.

xin

Every new G.g or relation I discover, I learn about .. its wonderful - from the Vagabonds and the sloths.. to the wonderful hardworking good men and women.. I love em all.. get angry with the ones that dropped a baby behind them each time they went to sea. Cry for the hardworking fwks and farmworkers.  GET darned angry, when all the cottages and land have Gone... :(  (not really) but wow  - what I know about my lot -- wow...

xin

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:52 BST (UK) »
There is a book, which is both wonderful and at the same time absolutely devastating, by Martin Gilbert called 'The Boys' which tells in great details the life stories of the boys before and after they came to England.  There are a couple of mentions of Robert's grandfather, and a great deal about Ben Helfgott who he met up with during the programme. Also a lot about Friedmann, the psychiatrist.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mif/

Yes, - I remember reading this quite a few years back now, - very interesting.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
I found this interesting, although I'm afraid, I did not know anything of the man himself or his work. Agreed, it started with known things, and fairly close in time span, and covered things that he might quite well have guessed. Agreed, he'd been to some places previously, and already knew some people who were providing the information, but it had a good flow to it, and it worked.
Already I can't wait for the next series. This series has regained its form, after a couple of weak series. I hope that it continues to be made.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
I think they said he was in England from about the age of 15, although I don't think they produced a 1911 census for him.

The family are in Whitechapel in 1911, Israel aged 20.

thanks, will have a look tomorrow (and give you a shout if I need to ask the surname, which I can't recall in full)

Lisa

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
KGarrad wrote:

"I wasn't that fussed with this episode?

Concentrating on just 2 people - IMHO it didn't offer any new insights into Family History?
I prefer those episodes that trace a family through a number of generations"

And I absolutely agree. 

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
I found it very interesting, I was aware it was going to mainly concentrate on two people from a write up beforehand. It covered a topic about we should all be regularly reminded, especially with antisemitism being in the news a lot at the moment.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
Knew next to nothing about Judge Rinder before this show, but took an instant like to him :D
He seemed a nice, genuine, family man who allowed people to speak and tell him the story of his family without talking over them.

The stories of both his grandfather and his great-grandfather were difficult and harrowing. As usual, I'm amazed by the records /photos/letters that have been found.
The scene where he was reunited with Ben Helfgott was particularly moving - I had a wee tear or two in my eye  :'(

Looby :)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
I agree with loobylooayr and pharma.

It was a completely fascinating programme. The young gentleman (and he was truly)  was unknown to me. He seemed such a decent family oriented person so no wonder he wanted to know the truth and nothing but the truth about his two ancestors.

My husband and I were totally moved by the lives of these Jewish ancestors of Robert Rinder. Thy were just two out of millions!

A very good series of WDYTYA this time round.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed this episode too and Robert Rinder is a charming gentleman who came over as very interested and moved by the life stories of his grandfather and great grandfather.

This series is different but very enjoyable. Sometimes quality is better than quantity in my opinion.

A very moving episode dealing with the Holocaust and how it affected his family.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife