Author Topic: Has any one heard of the surname Faab?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has any one heard of the surname Faab?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Both Georgiana and Mary were born to Richard and Sarah Fabb, Hemsby.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
The Norfolk Chronicle, 15 Sep 1866 mentions a "Samuel Paget Bracey, a retired sailor ..."

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Baptisms (FindMyPast), parents Richard and Sarah Fabb, Hemsby, father's profession Gentleman

Mary Ann Rebecca, 21 Feb 1813; Sarah, 10 Apr 1814;Georgiana Docking, 31 Oct 1824

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
If it is the one that I found in reply #5, and HT has followed up,  here are some fancy frocks (and hairstyles)  that can be compared with the portrait:

https://www.mimimatthews.com/2015/11/30/the-1830s-in-fashionable-gowns-a-visual-guide-to-the-decade/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
I have looked at Samuel Paget Bracey and Mary Ann Rebecca Fabb and am almost certain that is the correct "Rebekah Ann Faab" as they have a son Horace Edward Seymour Bracey - died Lithgow NSW in 1928.
The museum is Eskbank House in Lithgow NSW.  It was built for Thomas and Mary Brown and after World War 2 the local history society carried out major repairs and the local Bracey family who ran a department store in town collected together furniture etc for the house.  There are several items including a till from the shop and portrait that used to belong to the family.  There is photograph of Horace Bracey in a military uniform with a wonderful moustache and a 'smoking cap' with his name embroidered on it.
There are also a few things that belonged to Joseph Cook a Prime Minster of Australia who was miner in Lithgow before he took to politics.
It is worth a visit if you are travelling over the Blue Mountains - Am I allowed to advertise here?  I don't work there any more.
Thank you everyone.
Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
It is after midnight here.     :-[

I know of that family from Lithgow NSW ... I think I have info/research done by one of my  ancestors when they were teaching at Lithgow mid 1950s   ...

Great work by everyone.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
With everything that has been found, there is a short bio and photo of Horace E S Bracey here http://mountainmistbooks.com/_assets/documents/hassans-walls-sample-pages-914.pdf

“This fine attraction has been named Bracey’s Lookout, in recognition of the services to the
town of Major Bracey, who has been identified prominently with local public matters for several years” (Mercury, 14 May 1915).
Page 12
The person behind the name: In 1886 Horace Bracey established a retail business in Main Street, Lithgow, which developed into a major department store and traded until 2007. Major Bracey served as Mayor of Lithgow 1895-96, 1903, 1906, 1910. He died in 1928 at the age of 76 (Mercury, 24 Aug 1928, p4, col 3,4.)"

Newspaper obit here https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/219690192

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I have found my relative’s papers from when she was school teacher in the 1960s at Lithgow.  It is in her fine long hand, but on the BRACEY family she has concentrated on the second wife for Horace Edward Seymour BRACEY, and NOT on the lass he married in Kew, London in 1875.  He was widowed in London in 1876 and did not return to NSW until 1877.   The second marriage was in July 1878, at St Jude’s, Randwick NSW.  Alice Isabella PEARCE was the eldest daughter of a Randwick based Justice of the Peace.  Alice believed she was the first baby girl born in Randwick to European parents.   

Found the following at NSW BDM online.
NSW BDM marriage #1865/1878, Horace Edmund S BRACEY and Alice J PEARCE, registered Randwick district.
And this Newspaper cutting for second marriage https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13413739  SMH 30 July 1878, 

Sorry, nothing for the first Mrs BRACEY, but I support the joining of the dots back to that 1875 marriage in the UK and the other pieces of the jigsaw too. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 04:46 BST (UK) »

Alice Isabella PEARCE was the eldest daughter of a Randwick based Justice of the Peace. 

Not really related to your topic, but Alice PEARCE's father was Simeon Henry PEARCE, the first Mayor  and known as the "father of Randwick". Lots about him if you google. I know Randwick and St Jude's well - baptised, confirmed and married there.  :)