Author Topic: Elizabeth Murray Nee Napier and son Dominic Francis - From Co Down to US c 1895  (Read 445 times)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I have been searching for the above person for quite sometime now, I had assumed she died in the childbirth, as I was never able to find a trace of her or her son, but I was talking to an elderly relative and supposedly they moved to the United States (He thinks California)

Elizabeth Napier was baptized on 15 April 1860, to parents William Napier and Mary Ann Walsh.

She has one brother - William John Napier, who takes over the Hotel, her father managed - this is the brother in the 1901 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Dromore_Urban/Princes_Street/1206417/

She married Bernard Murray in July 1885
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10872/5970631.pdf

I think this is him in the 1901 census - where he describes himself as a widower
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Dunmore/Dooglen/1225254/

He dies in 1901 - and is shown as married on his death certificate (so not sure if he is a widower - or just presented himself as such, to make it look as if his wife and son had not abandoned him..)

The son Dominic Francis is born on 23rd September 1886, and is an only child.

I am searching for what happened to Elizabeth and Dominic - and not having much luck.

The last record I can find of Elizabeth is in her mothers will in 1891, she is not mentioned in her fathers will in 1897

From family information - she left her husband and took the son to America.

Anyone able to help?

Her husband Bernard, is my GG Uncle - so the son Dominic would have been my grandmothers first cousin
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Murray Nee Napier and son Dominic Francis - From Co Down to US c 1895
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
so we have Dominic as the son of a doctor is this the correct one
23 third of September 1886 Princes St Dromore
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Murray Nee Napier and son Dominic Francis - From Co Down to US c 1895
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the correct one. Princes street dromore is the the address of the commercial hotel in Dromore Road owned by Elizabeth Napiers parents
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)