Author Topic: Look Up for Deighan/Deehan family arriving in USA  (Read 1369 times)

Offline MURPHY2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look Up for Deighan/Deehan family arriving in USA
« on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find out if Neil Deighan 1852 Co Derry and his wife Mary (McCabe)1854 in Co Down emigrated to America sometime between 1880 and 1887

They had 8 children

Agnes      1878  Limavady Ireland
Ellen        1880       "           "
William.    between 1881-1887 Unknown Possibly USA
Annie.           "          "       "        "              "        "
Mary.        1887 Limavady Ireland
Sarah.      1890 Limavady Ireland
Neal         1891 Limavady Ireland
James      1894 Limavady Ireland

I have birth extracts for all apart from William and Annie and was told by a family member that William my grandfather was born in America then the family had to come back to Ireland for some reason?? I have exhausted all searches. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up for Deighan/Deehan family arriving in USA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
I looked here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1849782, New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1891, for William De* born 1850 to 1855, arrived 1881 to 1887, and did not find a match.
Just because I didn't find them doesn't mean they didn't emigrate.

You can take a look yourself and see if any of the names look enough like Deighan to check out.

Any clue where they went/came to in the US?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
And I looked at familysearch for William (the son) and Annie born anywhere in the US from 1881 to 1887 and I didn't find them. But then you said you had exhausted all searches.
Where are they in 1901/1911, especially Wm the son? What does it say for his place of birth? I didn't find them in Kerry at all.

It might just turn out to be one of those things the family knows is a fact, but you can't prove it.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
I didn't find them in Kerry at all.
It's Derry as in Londonderry not Kerry  ;)

I suspect that 1) Limavady is the registration district and not place of birth and 2) you haven't looked at the actual records, MURPHY2011?

Son James born 1894 Doaghs, Magilligan-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1894/02265/1851329.pdf

Each U.S. state keeps it's own records (starting date and availability - both online and off- vary greatly). The most likely ports are N.Y. and Boston but Philadelphia or even Canada are possible.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
"It's Derry as in Londonderry not Kerry"

That might explain why I didn't find them  :)

"The most likely ports are N.Y. and Boston but Philadelphia or even Canada are possible."

Murphy2011 take note: I only checked New York

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
The family are Deehan in 1901- as on James' birth record-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Benone/Doagh_s_Upper_Middle/1523448

If this is the son William then census says born Co.Derry-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Myroe/Culmore_Lower/1523647

There's an Annie Deehan in same census not far away also born Co. L'derry-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Benone/Drummons_Upper/1523473

Offline MURPHY2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
I’m sorry Aghadowey, I should have added more info that I already had. I have birth extracts for all apart from William and Annie. The district is Limavady but they all came from Doaghs, Magilligan. I have seen the 1901 census and see William and Annie were working in other houses when the census was taken, both aged 16 which also made me wonder if they were twins? I know my William married Eliza McCallion in 1905 and he then moved to Kiltest Ringsend, not far from Magilligan. Annie went on to marry a James Douglas in 1908 and they lived in Ballymoney. I was told the story of how William had trouble when he reach pension age as he couldn’t prove it because he had no documents, I was told he had been born in USA. I assumed for some reason his parents hadn’t registered him here or in the states. If the American info is wrong then I should still be able to find both him and his sister Annie born somewhere but I can’t. Neil his father was a cattle dealer and died in Magilligan area in 1910. I know of the name variations as I too have come across Deighan, Deehan, Deehanand even Deatha would you believe. I’m grateful for any help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 21:53 BST (UK) »
Well, it certainly is a small world. Kiltest is not far from me and one of your cousins was here a few weeks ago and we've started searching for McCallion details  :)

William could have been born in America and his birth either didn't need to be registered wherever he was born or it was registered but perhaps not available online.

Have you found William or sister Annie in 1911 census yet?
William's wife Lizzie & children are with her parents in Kiltest but William's not listed-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Ringsend/Kiltest/652530/