Author Topic: Who registers death.  (Read 2165 times)

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
Re: Who registers death.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thank You. Much obliged.
COLBECK,WHITEHAVEN CUMBERLAND
COLEBECK,HOPE,MILLER,LIVERPOOL
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
ROCHE,ROACH,MAHER,FOY IRELAND
SANDFORD.TYNAN, LIVERPOOL.
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND
SANDFORD NEWCASTLE/UPON/TYNE.

LANCASTER,GOWLAND,NORTHUMBERLAND
FOY, ROSCOMMON IRELAND,LIVERPOOL.
SMITH,HAMPSHIRE, & LIVERPOOL
SEALES SURREY CRADDOCK,HAMPSHIRE

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
This is not relevant to the 'who' but a landmark moment for me.
When my much loved Dad died late last Autumn I went with Mum to register his death.
I asked her that unless she had any strong feelings about it, me being the one who has done all the family research please could I sign the form.

It was a sad and poignant moment but even more so genealogically when 2018 rolled around and he appeared in abbreviated form on Scotlands People.

Yes I was there when he died, helped to plan and took part in the funeral and missed his presence greatly but when I saw it on my computer in the room where I do my family research it was like a thump in the heart.
How silly really :-\ :'(

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
When my much loved Dad died late last Autumn I went with Mum to register his death.
I asked her that unless she had any strong feelings about it, me being the one who has done all the family research please could I sign the form.

It was a sad and poignant moment but even more so genealogically when 2018 rolled around and he appeared in abbreviated form on Scotlands People.

Yes I was there when he died, helped to plan and took part in the funeral and missed his presence greatly but when I saw it on my computer in the room where I do my family research it was like a thump in the heart.

Not silly to me. I nearly started crying when I saw my Dad's signature on my birth certificate. I was sitting in the Mitchell SP room, so in public.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 20:04 BST (UK) »

Like you my Dad recently passed away - and I had much the same feelings.  For me the lump in my throat came when I was doing something on my family tree and I suddenly realised I had dates and other information to fill in about my Dad.  It was very sad.

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 August 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
So sad can understand feelings. I wanted to know who registers death so I could get death certificate to see names of informants ( part of family history )
Victoria
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 August 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Victoria

Just to add - even if the informants were not family members it may also be useful to your research in order for you to get an idea of their life before they passed away.  For example, you can see where they died and who was in attendance or registered the death.  This is why ages are sometimes out on the d/c's the information is only as good as the person giving it!  Which may be someone who does not know the deceased very well.    I always find the address the person died is especially helpful, particularly if you are wanting to know where they are buried.

Kind regards
CD

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 August 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  The place where she died is a care home. This is why we asked who registers death. If it is care home they can not give us any information about deceased ( confidentiality ) if it was relative we may find members of her family who are related.

Victoria
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 August 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, the problem is you'll not know who registered the death unless you buy the cert. It's rather a  catch 22.  :-\

Sadly, a good friend of mine, her father died within days of my Dad.  He died in a care home and she was not present.  But, she was the one who registered the death.  Given the year (2004) I would suggest unless there really were no known relatives (or even a close friend or neighbour) the care home staff would be the last people to register the death.

If I were you I'd start checking the local  newspapers for any obit and also look for burial information.  If I were feeling a bit flush I would go for it and buy the cert.  Like I say I find all the other information just as useful in order to track back to relatives.

CD

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
In 1851 an ancestor of mine died in the workhouse and a fellow inmate registered the death.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain