Author Topic: Bestal/Bestall of Wicklow  (Read 5750 times)

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bestal/Bestall of Wicklow
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 August 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Sinnan, the only members in the census of Scotland I can find are Bridget and Margaret on the 1901 census, they were the only children of William and Margaret who married in Ireland and appear to have moved to Scotland with their husbands prior to their mother and father and other siblings moving to Scotland. It looks like their parents and other siblings moved just after census taken.

Re 1911 census, I can’t find anything again for any of them again apart from their 2 daughters and that may tie in with the story that after William died in 1902 in Scotland that she went back to Ireland with her younger children. They definitely came back to Scotland before 1914 by the looks of it as Mary Anne married in Scotland 1914 and John was recorded as missing in action in 1915 during the First World War, later presumed dead but found later.

However perhaps they didn't go back at all. I will recheck again in case of further spelling errors but I’m sure I tried all the variations of spellings before

Due to all the name variants it’s a bit of a nightmare

Thank you all for your help.

The main thing I’m looking for is details of Wm (Valentine) Bestal b1862 parents who was William senior the farmer related to and did he have any siblings and any siblings of William Valentine junior b1862. If I get any info re them it may make the whole thing a lot easier.

I’m also trying to get any info on John Corcoran and Rose Carroll. When Margaret their daughter married she lived at Bariniskey. I know the surnames if Corcoran and Caroll are going to be tricky due to the immense amount of people with these surnames. Only thing I know is Brigida Corcoran is mentioned on the marriage cert. I don’t know if she is Margaret’s sister, Aunty, cousin or even a niece

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry I meant he may not have been a tennant farmer, just worked on various farms

Exactly not a farmer an agricultural labourer.

William b1862 was an agricultural labourer but his father is noted as a farmer

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much, at least we know what happened to Edward now, it was mentioned in the family that he never married. No wonder I couldn’t find details of him. It would be nice to find out what happened to him if he was cremated or buried and where etc. That’s a task for another day though.

I can’t figure out what cause of death was due to handwriting and I think it says Ballinastraw. Do you think I’m right. Can anyone decipher cause of death, where and informants name as very hard to read

Ballinastraw is mentioned on Mary Anne’s baptismal certificate
Ballinakill and Bariniskey are mentioned on William and Margaret’s marriage cert

Link?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1960/04339/4122307.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry I meant he may not have been a tennant farmer, just worked on various farms

William b1862 was an agricultural laboriurnbut his father is noted as a farmer

But he doesn't appear to have a farm, so was William fibbing to make his background sound better.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
coronary thrombosis
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:24 BST (UK) »

But he doesn't appear to have a farm, so was William fibbing to make his background sound better.

William born 1862 never at any point claimed he was a farmer, it’s his father William senior married to Anne Cullen who claims he was a farmer.  William b1862 and his son Edward worked on a farm

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:31 BST (UK) »

William born 1862 never at any point claimed he was a farmer, it’s his father William senior married to Anne Cullen who claims he was a farmer.  William b1862 and his son Edward worked on a farm

On the marriage to Corcoran William claims his father is a farmer.
I'm saying he may have fibed and his father was a Labourer like he was.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Sinnan, yes he was still married, Margaret Corcoran died in Scotland as a widow on 8th April 1936 aged 80. She outlived her daughter Bridget and possibly Margaret

This just dawned on me.
I was looking for Anne Cullen.
Did William and his wife Anne Cullen go to Scotland?

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bestal/Bestall of Wicklow (William and Anne)
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
William and Anne didn’t come to Scotland, it was their son William and his wife Margaret Corcoran who came to Scotland. He came for work and better pay but sadly it didn’t work out as he died within a year or just over a year of arriving and my great gran was left with a lot of children to bring up on her own.