Author Topic: Japanese POW records - what is in them?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Japanese POW records - what is in them?
« on: Tuesday 14 August 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Could anyone tell me what level of detail there is on the records for Japanese POWs on FindMyPest?
Are they single page basic info, or is there more detail?

I have the basic data from CWGC matched with BMDs and 1939 Register - I'm looking to add detail to the people's life/death as POWs.

Many thanks
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese POW records - what is in them?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
43 reads and no answers.  Ah well - it was worth a try.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
Maybe the 42 people  who read it had no idea?  In my experience people reply to help IF they can, sometimes I read a post and answer, other times I have nothing useful to add so I move along.

I do have very limited experience of these records (but my experience is limited to two records, one of which was for someone else's tree so I no longer have the info) but I have been busy so this is the first time I have had a chance to browse new messages and I rarely have anything informative to say on this board anyway.

So, hopefully the following will help a little

I have a Japanese POW record via FindMyPast. My fella's name was reasonably uncommon so it was easy to find.
I have the following:

1 a listing entry (transcription, not an image) dated 1942 NA ref Wo 392/25
That gives me his name the year (in which he was taken prisoner), service no and rank.

2  a listing entry (transcription, not an image) dated 1944 NA ref WO 361/734 Casualties at sea
Gives name service no and rank and name of the ship on which the pows were being moved to another camp - which was then handily torpedoed and sunk by the British (you couldn't make it up!)
Jpanese kept hold of my man and he still ended up in the next camp.

3 A listing entry (transcript) of Japanese Index cards of Allied POWS and Internees dated 1942 ref WO 345/37

That gives name , birth year, nationality, residence (home town) rank, POW Camp Name

4 Images of the index card (?front and reverse)
1st side Headings in both Japanese and English
Camp - Japanese only
No. - Japanese only (from memory, but I have had it a good while) the characters are the Camp No ref
Name - POWs name typed in English
Nationality - Japanese characters and handwritten in English
Rank  - Japanese characters and handwritten in English
Place of capture -Japanese characters and handwritten in English
Father's name - Typed in English
Place of origin - Full home address, typed in English
Destination of Report - Father's name and full address, typed in English
Date of Birth - stated and typed in English
Unit - Service no., Battalion, Regiment and division, typed in English
Date of capture Japanese characters and figures relating to Japanese way of counting years/dates plus typed in English day/ month in words/ year, date form
Mother's name - typed in English
Occupation Japanese characters and typed in English
Remarks - none on this man's record

Side 2
Heading in both Japanese and English
Other Informations
All in Japanese characters -  I did manage to get a partial transcription from a Japanese - English translation service and I was told it was a list of transfers to various different camps
with a final note dated Sept 1945 that they couldn't decipher apart from the name of a Major in the US Army

NB this is what I got for the man I was looking for. I have no idea if its typical of these records or what, if anything, you will find for the person you are looking for.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 August 18 21:53 BST (UK) »
PS he did survive, and after being liberated he was taken to Australia where he was looked after very well till he was well enough to travel home. My mother always said he went to war a strapping 14 stone farm lad, he came home (even after the care and attention the Australians gave him) weighing all of 8 stone and his health was never right afterwards.
I think he was worth a few quid (and then some) to find out more about what happened to him and would have got the records no matter what it cost.

Boo

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 August 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
I was just trying a random search of these records and didn't find anything like as much information on the ones I looked at. As Tickettyboo says there may be no such thing as a typical result. If you feel able to give a name perhaps someone can help.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Japanese POW records COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 August 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies.

This is part of a project to provide biographical details of everyone named on our local War Memorial.  I have seven people (whose details up to 1939 I have in full) who CWGC have as died in the Far East and I have established that their Army or Marine units were all in Singapore at the time of the surrender in 1942.  I have been trying to decide if it's worth reactivating my FindMyPest sub for a month to get details for these men.

As Tickettyboo has previously found a record with some detail, there is a chance that one or more of my men might have further details.

Christine53 - if I had only one name to research I would post it, but for me to ask about seven names seems a bit excessive and I wouldn't feel comfortable posting them all.

If records only showed the same info I could get from CWGC I wouldn't revive my FindMyPest sub - but as there is a chance of getting extra information it's worth the money to try.

(I wasn't implying any disrespect to my fellow Rootschatters in my earlier post - it was a perhaps clumsy attempt to move my request back to Page 1 so it wouldn't be forgotten).

Thank you again.
Philip

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
UPDATE - with thanks again.  I paid my sub and it was worth it!

Of the seven names I was looking for I now have (in addition to details I had found from BMDs, CWGC and 1939 Register) new information for all seven.
Four have information including date of capture, place and cause of death (in Siam).
The other three were on transport ships sunk by air attack or torpedo.

Some have cards with Japanese writing (which, as Ticketyboo states, would be Camp references).

This information is sufficient for me to complete the mini-biographies for the War Memorial project.

If I were 40 years younger I would run up and down the street shouting: "YO, DUDES, ROOTSCHAT ROCKS BIG-TIME!"   :) :) :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
UPDATE - with thanks again.  I paid my sub and it was worth it!

Pleased you got more info

If I were 40 years younger I would run up and down the street shouting: "YO, DUDES, ROOTSCHAT ROCKS BIG-TIME!" 

and as am not 40 years younger  - please could you keep the noise down over there! :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
PS

Did you read through the 'about these records' info on FindMyPast?
It gives a link to this page
https://www.gahetna.nl/sites/default/files/bijlagen/stamp_list_logo.pdf

which helped me decipher the camp nos which were stamped in Japanese characters

and I spent days on this site to find out more about the camps
http://www.mansell.com/pow_resources/camplists/Prelim_Japanese_POW_Camp_List.html

Boo