Author Topic: James beresford b.1781, also could be spelt Berisford, Staffordshire  (Read 1840 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: James beresford b.1781, also could be spelt Berisford, Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
I agree with Rosie it appears to be 2 different Families;

According to that info JB was a Marine.

Info on "The Prince of Wales"

The ship also carried a contingent of 31 marines of the New South Wales Marine Corps, comprising lieutenants Thomas Davey and Thomas Timins, five non-commissioned officers, and 24 privates. Sixteen of the marines embarked with their wives, and there were six children. Discipline was poor. In June 1787 two marines were court-martialed for disobeying orders; one received 300 lashes. Later in the voyage, two sergeants refused to share a mess after one insulted the other's wife.[37] Drunkenness was also common. In June one drunken marine sergeant fell through an open hatchway and injured the pregnant wife of another marine, for which offence he was placed in legcuffs for two weeks and then transferred to Alexander. Then in late October, First Lieutenant James Maxwell, who had recently transferred aboard from Charlotte, was found incoherently drunk on duty and promptly returned to Charlotte.[38]

Two more children were born to the wives of marines during the voyage.[Note 3] In October 1787 the wife of marine drummer Benjamin Cook died from an unspecified illness and was buried at sea after a brief ceremony.[38]

James Scott, a Sergeant of Marines, wrote an account of the voyage in his journals, now held at the State Library of New South Wales.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Yes I would think so Rosie :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
If that Family arrived 1787 some of the children must have been born on Norfolk Island by my calculations?

Quote from site;
3 September 1808, John Beresford's family and Robert Kingston were among the 255 people who boarded the City of Edinborough. This was the 5th embarkation at Norfolk Island for the Derwent. The passenger list included:
#61 John Beresford and #62 Hannah Beresford. Children #63 Dorothy (Dolly) Beresford, #64 Sarah Beresford
#65 Joseph Beresford and #66 Mary Ann Leviston (wife). Joseph was now around 19 years.******
#67 Mary Beresford. Around 18 years*******
#191 Robert Kingston and # 192 wife Esther Beresford. Ester was around 14 years********

So given ages Joseph/Mary/Esther likely born Norfolk.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
I should have read down further re childrens birth places :-[

It is a very confusing disjointed manuscript in one place it has him born Dublin.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
If you havent found it Rosie a Tree has James on it born 1783 Alton, married Maria Tomlinson 1805 and died 1836 Yoxall.
I have his Baptism (FreeREG) and Marriage (Pallots) but havent as yet confirmed his death.

Yes I have FreeREG age 54

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
1841 Maria is a Widow living with her is Son James 1818, a Butcher and Family.

His Baptism is on FreeREG 1818 Yoxall, Parents James/Hannah.
Fathers Occp Farmer
Abode Longcrofts
Siblings;
Twins Bapt there also WILLIAM/THOMAS 01 Apr 1821
William buried 5th April (died 2nd April 1821), Thomas buried 28th April (died 24 April)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
If you havent found it Rosie a Tree has James on it born 1783 Alton, married Maria Tomlinson 1805 and died 1836 Yoxall.
I have his Baptism (FreeREG) and Marriage (Pallots) but havent as yet confirmed his death.

Yes I have FreeREG age 54

Thank you Trish  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bigfish033

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
I have the following info on James: James berisford baptised 28th Dec 1783, archive ref D1343/1/3 parents John & Hannah. His wife was a Mary Edge b.1789 married 18 Feb 1802 in Alstonefield. They were both illiterate (x mark for both) ref: D922/8. I have him on the 1841 census living in Mill Dale Alstonefield aged 60 with his wife Mary and his sons Isaac 1821 and Charles 1831. ref 1003 Book number 1 Folio number 13 Page number 19.  In the 1851 census it is as follows: He is 73 living still at Mill Dale with Mary 67, sons Henry 27 1824 (my 4th gt grandfather) and Charles 20. District Ashbourne, Archive reference HO107, Piece number 2146 Folio 500 Page 28. Thanks again for helping me :-)     

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 August 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
1851 for James & Mary gives
James age 73 born Newtown, Staffordshire (born c 1788)
Mary age 67 born Longnor, Staffordshire

How did you establish that he was the 1783 baptism in Alton, Staffordshire.  Newtown & Alton are approx 30 miles apart
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk