Author Topic: Jane Ann Healds/Martin from Kirkcaldy  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Ann Healds/Martin from Kirkcaldy
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 August 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Found this although it may not be significant but a maybe with spelling variant?

Marriage

HEALES ALFRED MACDONAL & DAND JANE YATES
644/2 83 Camlachie

Death of a son of the above;

HEALES ALFRED 91
DAND (mms)
421/ 474 Kirkcaldy

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 August 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all contributions, but I already knew all about Alfred & Frederick Healds lives and deaths and about Jemima - who I actually knew in person as my Great Granma. I also knew a lot about their mother Ann and their Grandfather Alexander McDonald who was a Master mariner. Thanks anyway.

It was only Jane Ann McDonald Healds m Martin  that we didn't know anything about.  I think I have enough information now to follow them up in Canadian records.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:54 BST (UK) »

It was only Jane Ann McDonald Healds m Martin  that we didn't know anything about.  I think I have enough information now to follow them up in Canadian records.

Might be worthwhile posting on the Canadian board to see if anyone can help

Good luck

Rosie

Offline Bodee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I recently found that my G Granma had a sister born: Jane Ann McDonald Healds in 1882 in Kirkcaldy, Fife to Ann McDonald Healds & Alfred Healds.  Jemima's mother died when she was around 6 yrs old and she was taken in my a local family- name of Philp.  Later married Andrew Nicol.
We knew she had a brother called Fred who died in 1917 in WW1, but just discovered that there was a younger sister, aged about 3yrs when their mother died. Her name was Jane Ann Healds. Does anyone know what happened to her? 
I have found a marriage certificate from 1911 which names her - but no one in the present family has ever heard of her.  She married an Alexander Martin n Kirkcaldy so she would have been known as Jane Martin.
Did another family perhaps take her in  or adopt her ? Id love to know what happened to her.  I am assuming she was separated from the family. Otherwise she would have been known to us.  My G Granma died in1963 so Jane may have lived into the 1960s. Id love to know what happened to her.  If you are a descendant please get in touch.

Hi there.

My name is Boyd Beatty Heales. It appears to me that some of the people you mention might be related to me, my sister and my cousins.
However that being the case I wonder if you could tell me where you got the name "Healds" from? Was it the War Office roll of honour?

I also note MacDonald is spelled wrongly if we are referring to my great grandmother's maiden name.

My grandmother was Jane Yates Dand, she married my grandfather Alfred MacDonald Heales, his mother was Ann MacDonald and his father, my great grand father was also Alfred Heales, he was a seaman and both he and his wife Ann MacDonald were deceased at the time my grand father married my grandmother on 4th April 1910.

I wonder if you can clarify that we are indeed talking about the same families. I note that my grandfathers name was wrongly spelled (Healds) in the roll of honour when he went down with his ship the Mary Rose (17-10-1917). I have been in touch with the authorities and it is now too late to have the name references in the various rolls changed to Heales

That said the photos you produce are of my grandfather commonly referred to as "Frederick" Heales although he is shown on his marriage certificate as I say as Alfred. My father was also Alfred (he died in 2002 aged 91) He had two brothers, Jack and Boyd, both now deceased.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Boyd

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Boyd  ;)

I can't comment on family/connections but variants on names were common by various reasons i.e. not to be taken too seriously & part of genealogy as many names morphed into worse than you see here  :D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 January 19 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boyd,
Sorry I have been trawling through more info on my GG Grandmother Ann McDonald and haven't been on Rootschat since before Christmas.  I am very interested in knowing about your GG Grandmother Jane Ann.  My Grandmother and my G Grandmother Jemima always referred to your Frederick / Alfred as Uncle Fred ( possibly a pet name within the family ).  I did notice a while back that his name was spelled differently on the Memorial in Kirkcaldy Memorial Gardens. There was also a wooden Commemoration Plaque in the entrance to the Post Office as he worked there.  It is now a Nightclub so unsure what happened to the Plaque.

Boyd, I am hoping that I can find a way to share some other information with you outside of Rootschat as it is private knowledge within the family. It may relate to Jane Ann as well as my GGrandmother Jemima.  Are you 'Ancestry'?

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 January 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I noticed recently that there is a kerb memorial for an Alfred Heales at Kirkcaldy Crematorium.  Is that your father?

In all the paperwork I have seen for Frederick his name is spelled Healds and not just on official Government papers. Do you perhaps have his birth certificate?

Also, all the Certificates for McDonalds of that family, back to 1780,are spelled McD not MacD.  Perhaps we can share what we have, bering in mind that these ancestors couldn't spell anyway.
Do you live in Kirkcaldy?

Anne.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 January 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I also note MacDonald is spelled wrongly if we are referring to my great grandmother's maiden name.
Please dont get hung up on spelling, especially whether it's Mc or Mac. There's no such thing as 'wrong' spelling of names. Spelling was a very inexact science and every tree with a Mac or Mc in it will have the same individual's name spelled differently in different documents. I have a couple where the spelling of a child's surname was Mc.... but the father's name on the same document was Mac....
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 00:29 GMT (UK) »
In all the paperwork I have seen for Frederick his name is spelled Healds and not just on official Government papers. Do you perhaps have his birth certificate?

LAMPARINA ALFRED HEALES 1879
442/ 112 Kirkcaldy and Abbotshall

also

MCDONALD ALFRED HEALES 1879
442/ 112 Kirkcaldy and Abbotshall

Annie