Author Topic: John NEWELL bapt. Stokenchurch c. 1782  (Read 2446 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John NEWELL bapt. Stokenchurch c. 1782
« on: Wednesday 15 August 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hello

Not sure if I'm asking in the right place, since Stokenchurch was in Oxfordshire until 1896, but can anyone find a baptism for John NEWELL? He may have been the child of John NEWELL and Lydia NEWELL (distant cousins). I have his approximate age from the 1841 and 1851 censuses.

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: John NEWELL bapt. Stokenchurch c. 1782
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
I'll take a look. ;D

From OxFHS - Stokenchurch transcripts CD. & OxFHS Marriage Index

John Newell, baptised 14 Nov 1784 @ Stokenchurch.   Son of William & Mary.

Possible marriages.

William Newell to Mary Coles. 27 Sept 1774 @ Great Haseley, Oxfordshire.
William Newell to Mary Woodwards. 7 June 1770 @ Goring, Oxfordshire.

Great Haseley would be my guess.  Closer by far, to Stokenchurch, Oxfordshire. ;)

I can see no other marriages in Oxfordshire that may fit. ???

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve, you always seem to come up with the info  :). Can I just confirm that the baptism is the only one you found in Stokenchurch for that period?

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
Yes.  He had siblings baptised @ Stokenchurch.

William Christopher - 1782.
Elizabeth - 1783.
Thomas - 1786.

There is an earlier baptism, 10 April 1775 @ Great Haseley, for another John Newell or Kewell to William & Mary.  The type face suggests Kewell.
No burial for John Newell or Kewell @ Great Haseley for this chap, nor Stokenchurch, before the 1784 baptism.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 August 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
I suspect that the 1775 John was probably the child of another John and Mary Newell/Kewell, in that case.

Interesting that John's putative brother's middle name is Christopher - that seems to be a favourite amongst the Stokenchurch/Radnage Newells at least, along with the name Ambrose.

Martin

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 August 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have John Newells burial @ Stokenchurch.  Was his wife Martha.?

Martha Newell, aged 75, buried 2 Aug 1857.  Born c1782.
John Newell. aged 87, buried 10 Aug 1868.  So that gives a birth year, c1781.

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 August 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have John Newells burial @ Stokenchurch.  Was his wife Martha.?

Yes she was – Martha Barrot/Barret, if I’ve got things right.

I seem to always forget to look up burials, a habit I need to get out of.

Martin

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Just a quick enquiry, trying to rule out other possibilities - you can't find any marriages for a William and Mary Newell in Bucks, can you? I'm thinking places like Radnage and Bledlow.

Martin  :)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
I've searched the May Lanchbury web site for Bledlow.  No marriages there for William Newell to a Mary, nor any other.   http://lanchbury.id.au/genealogy/bledlow1500.html

The web site has records missing, due to the poor condition of the originals registers.  But there are Newells in the Lanchbury web site.

I have no other access to Bledlow or Radnage PR's, although BucksFHS do have Bledlow & Radnage in their databases.

F.M.P.  have the Marriages, and Banns indexes that may help, which cover Bledlow & Radnage.  There are also BT's included.