Author Topic: three marriage records same couple  (Read 1091 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
three marriage records same couple
« on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Why would there be three entries on scotlandspeople with the same couple all be it the woman is listed under three different surnames record number for each is the same one 644/16 505

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: three marriage records same couple
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Because she had already been married twice and the marriage was registered under her maiden name and two former surnames?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
......the marriage was registered under her maiden name and two former surnames?

Indexed, not registered.

Debra  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
It would have to be registered using all three names, otherwise how could it be indexed with all three? The index can't include information that isn't in the record.

.... unless of course you are indexing for certain genealogy web sites notorious for making guesses about where people were born and how old they were.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 August 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Many thanks for your assistance, she was relatively young for all these different marriages perhaps a sign of the times during WW2
Once again many thanks

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 August 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
Perhaps she was illegitimate & the surnames were her father's , mother's (maiden & married) surnames?
It was not unusual to find someone using different surnames from that on the birth registration. I have come across that on my family tree.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 August 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
You'll need to find out what the original document says, Bruce. What year is it?

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All

The marriage I was looking at is 1945
I had a look for other marriages for this woman and using all three names the only marriage I could find was the one I was looking at.
I could not find a birth for her either so perhaps she has moved from England or Ireland.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 August 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Just to add my own experience of the same marriage being indexed on SP with more than 1 surname.

My mum was illegitimate and brought up by foster parents (never legally adopted). Her marriage to my dad in 1945 has the same index number but appears twice -once using her birth surname and the second her foster parents surname which was the name she was known by when she was growing up.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife